Hammer in

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I'm on my way to the 7th annual Gulf Coast Custom Knifemakers spring hammer in.
I've never been to a hammer in before because I'm not a bladesmith but thanks to Paul LeBatard I'm going to my first hammer in.
I'll try to take some photos and post them here for y'all.

Well I went to the hammer in but didn't take photos because I was too busy visiting,talking ,listening,asking questions and answering some too.
There were three blade smiths there demonstrating the forging process from lighting the coal forge to completing the forging process,one had a gas forge. My right arm hurts just from watching them from a distance,I know I'm not physically capable of doing that because my arms ( hands,wrist,elbows,shoulders) are already worn out from working hard all my life. I'll stick to my stock removal folder making,taking it slow and easy.
A big THANK YOU to Paul LeBatard for hosting this gathering and for The Gulf Coast Custom Knifemakers for providing the food and drinks.

Calvin,
Well you got a chance to watch and it's good that you have accepted your limitations as far as knife making is concerned. I have a strong feeling that I would have have to say the same thing. Since I have Tinnitus and am about half deaf already and two back surgery's etc I don't think I could take the pounding and noise of hand forging. I did go to a demo on forging years ago and they had a little giant forge pounding away! The sound hurt my ears. I had to leave early.

Stock removal is fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back