Hand finishing Antler handle

Still needs final sanding, finish and glue up. Couldn't find epoxy I need locally, so had to order some. Waiting for it and letting antler get good and dry before proceeding.
IMAG0447_zps61d88af5.jpg

So, I'm using what might be a bit of a different finishing aspect. I have a kitchen table gunsmithing background. For years I bought and repaired/restored old, usually broken guns as a hobby. I actually only got into knives when even old broken guns got too expensive to buy. Not to mention parts availability is in a severe decline. So anyway, going on the Linseed oil suggestion, I'm using Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, which I had on-hand, to finish my antler handle. It's basically Linseed oil with some other un-named "natural oils" added. Doing it just like you'd put a hand rubbed finish on a gunstock. Rub a coat in, let it dry, buff w/fine steel wool, repeat until desired finish obtained. The 1st couple of coats seal the wood (in this case antler), subsequent coats build finish. Looking GREAT so far. Anyone ever try it?

Last edited:
Back