Handle Size

Mark Andrews

Hi

I am having a hard time selecting handle size.

problem is I tend to make all my knives based on how it feels in my hand. I have a good size hand so I make my handles a touch thicker than some people like. I have had three out of my last 10 knives come back for some more removal.

Most of my handles are done with a palm swell and I start out most of the time with 3/8 stock . The photo shows how I like to make them. could I get some feedback. Be honest I'm a big boy.

Attachments

• 21 005.jpg
    21 005.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 60
I should have added a few other shots. This knife did not come back but was noted as having a handle that was to big.

Attachments

• 21 006.jpg
    21 006.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 21 007.jpg
    21 007.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 44
That's a tough one Mark.
A lot depends on the knife size and style, also your personal design style. On a 8" to 9" knife, I'm typically at around 5/8"- 3/4" maximum width including a palm swell. I think the advice I was given many years ago still holds true...."THIN IS IN". Feedback tells me I'm doing the "right" thing so far. Listen to your customers.

Rudy

Mark,
I also have big mitts compared to most.
I think your problem may be more the hard edges of the handle at the palm/top first and then the finger side of your handle, rather than just the max thickness.

Try more of a radius or egg shape to your handles in cross section and then have people with smaller hands try them for some feedback.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Mark,
I also have big mitts compared to most.
I think your problem may be more the hard edges of the handle at the palm/top first and then the finger side of your handle, rather than just the max thickness.

Try more of a radius or egg shape to your handles in cross section and then have people with smaller hands try them for some feedback.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I agree. The handle is a little blocky top and bottom. Round the edges just shy of the tang and I think you will find that the handle has a much better feel for all hand sizes. I put big handles on my knives also. I find many handles to be too small but rounding the handles improves the comfort for all size hands. The knife in the pic has a handle that will really fill the hand but anyone can use it with comfort.

If you look at the shape/contouring of the handle, the taper in the tang makes the front of the handle pretty tall compared to the heel area. Maybe taper the front of the handle scales more and move the palm swell back a bit more. Most knives would have the palm swell near where the handle tang bulges out, your palm swell is a bit forward of that from what I can tell. You are using more of a Coke bottle profile, but the front needs to be tapered more and the swell moved back a bit I think from what I see in the pics. It's hard to tell exactly without the knife in hand.

Thanks for the imput you guys . I can see where you all are coming from and I will use this in my next handle. I will also let a smaller handed person help me out and try and find a middle ground.

Last edited:
I think Taz is right. I would move both the concave and the convex areas back. I like the convex swell to be in the center of the handle and the front and rear areas to be concave. This lets the big part of the palm rest against the rear part of the concave which feels nice. Also rounding the handle a tad more would reduce the circumference enough to make a fair amount of difference too. Just keep experimenting, you'll get it.

Is this better ?

I wanted to see if I learned anything last week from you guys.

Attachments

• 55 028.jpg
    55 028.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 55 027.jpg
    55 027.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 31
Looks really clean and comfy!! You may be able to taper down the front of the handle a hair more if it still felt too big, but that looks pretty dang good!!

Looks really clean and comfy!! You may be able to taper down the front of the handle a hair more if it still felt too big, but that looks pretty dang good!!

I agree. Take the front down a little more. Personally I'd round those edges just a little more also. I know, I know...it can be hard to force yourself to do it. Make a knife that you don't plan on letting it leave you shop and then really round the edges and contour that thing. If you're like most of us, you're afraid of taking off too much. Making a 'shop' knife that you're willing to trash will help you get over this.

I think you have it. The radius on the edges is key. Most of my customers are men so it's very important for me to have good proportion of width to thickness. Those hard edges make a huge difference in comfort and fit. Remember, form follows function. The crisp lines might look good, but if the impede the fit or feel of the knife when being used, then they should be changed.

313675_150895535012213_928221022_n.jpg

the knife above doesn't really show the radius but it's there. Also my swell is in the middle both in profile and in thickness. My customers love this handle.

Back