Handles and bolster questions

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
Good morning,
I really enjoy this site and the help I have received from my fellow members. Two questions.
1) Has anyone used dogwood for handle material? According the literature it is very hard, very dense, and very stable.
2) What are the pros and cons of attaching your bolster pre heat treat? I would be using 316L for the bolster.(what I find in the scrap bin is free)
thank you in advance for your help.
Scott

Never used Dogwood?
I wouldn't attach anything to my blades prior to HT cause it would make it a pain to clean up any scale from HT.

You want clean even polished flats to attach bolsters to.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I've used Dog wood, and felt it was so, so, not quite as hard as I wanted, and less than stunning in grain and figure. Are you sure your not thinkning of Holly Very white finished wood, and is hard. Only thing I didnt like about it was keeping the grinding gunk from discoloring it while shaping. Ive done several with Holly and the end result was nice, just seemed a bit more trouble than it was worth.

Lots of options out there for wood unless the Dog Wood is fromn a special source.

God Bless
Mike

I have used Dogwood. It is a hard wood, but not so stable, unless it is stabilized. I did have mine dyed and stabilized. In its natural state, I think it is kinda boring, not much grain or color, though there are some cuts that look better than others.
Here is a pic of one with Dogwood, dyed red by Woodlab.
100_2291.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
Scott,
Is this fresh cut, dried, or what?
It is a hard wood and is best if stabilized.
Most is light in color and fairly plain, but not all.
This is part of a stump that the tree had dyed a year or 2 before I got it. Sometime next year I’ll cut it into blocks and stabilize them.

IMG00186.jpg

One of 4 or 5 pieces.

Todd

tree has been down about 15 months. it is dogwood, is from neighbor's yard, got damaged by bad storm last spring. i have cut it into manageable pieces and it is drying in my basement. agree that some is rather plain, but some areas have nice patterns. dogwood was used around here for textile machinery, some older mills still use it.

Back