Harbor Frieght Tools??

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I printed off the harbor freight coupon sheet, I have a little list!!

Caliper
Brake bleeder(for stabilizing)
air compressor
drill press

Does anyone currently have any of their drill presses? Are they worth buying or should I just go with a cheap craftsman or Northern tool?

Also,I was just looking through Northern tools, Has anyone had any experience with their band saw or drill press??

Last edited:
Well, I tell you what. I have one. It's ok I guess, it ain't the best, but it works alright. I did have some trouble keeping the chuck on. It will just fall off when you least expect it to. I'm sure they aren't all that way though. I've never had any of the other ones, but I use Craftsman tools and haven't had any issues. The way I use harbor freight is this. I use them for things that I don't mind using and throwing away. Your milage may vary.

HF generally doesn't have a gret rep on the vast majority of their products. Like Anthony mentioned most of the stuff you get you expect to be fairly expendable. The only exception I've seen that has gotten good reviews is this 4x6 bandsaw.

Hi Ern, On things you know you'll need for years to come at least go middle of the road and spend (invest) some cash. As said, consumables like clamps and odd hand tools are ok at HF. Besides my mill and two small benchtop drill presses, my large Craftsman benchtop press turned out to be a better deal than I originally thought. It's pretty acurate but that laser crosshair thingy is useless. My HF 4x6 saw has been in use since the early 80's without any major problems. I don't know if that's still the case with newer models. On compressors, after 36 yrs in the construction trade, I wouldn't buy anything other than top of the line. I have two, a large Kubota and a smaller Bostich that have been in service since the mid 80's with nominal problems. You get what you pay for. When I buy tools, I buy them for life. (hopefully)

Good luck,
Rudy

I got my 4x6 saw there and it works great.

I got a scroll saw there and it works OK, but not Great...

I got my buffer for the Paper Wheel sharpening system there and it works great...

So I guess it's hit or miss, everything they sell is made in China. For the money some of the stuff is not to bad. Just take a good hard look at the stuff before you buy it. If you don't like the feel of an item take it back ASAP. My local store is very good about returns.

After I lost all my power tools in a fire I bought there portabandsaw just to have one. My first impression was it was a piece of junk but in all honesty it lasted for a year and a half before I replaced it with the red name brand one that I have been really disappointed with. The blade that came on the HF model was the best blade I ever ran across. It out lasted any blade I had ever used.

I think we will mostly all agree that the HF 4x6 is well worth the investment for a dependable band saw. When I purchased my drill press I opted to go to Sears and believe I caught it on sale for a pretty good price. I just checked both Sears and HF's websites and to compare apples to apples of the most comparable models (Sears 12" to HF 15") the prices are the same ($219.99). I would recommend the Craftsman model at Sears over the HF.

I have the HF 4x6 metal band saw, drill press, vise, 1/2 HP grinder, and 1x30 sander. I use on every knifes. I don't regret buy any of it.

I picked up a drill press with keyless chuck:eek: I hope the keyless is good.
I am going to pick up the bandsaw as soon as my federal taxes get deposited!!

I also got a few bar clamps and a drill vise!!!

thanks for the help everyone!!

I picked up a drill press with keyless chuck:eek: I hope the keyless is good.
I am going to pick up the bandsaw as soon as my federal taxes get deposited!!

I also got a few bar clamps and a drill vise!!!

thanks for the help everyone!!

try enco, decent prices same manufacturer (china) make sure you get a UL listed motor. also watch the gear box oil level they tend to leak ran these saws for years until i upgraded to my 10ft roll in saw

Ernie Im a big sears fan just because they stand behind their basic warranty. I have the cheap lazer master craft canadian tire pretty close to sears drill press and I really like it the pulley belts change fast and easy in 2 second and I use it with spindle sanding attachments and drill lots . dont buy crap bits its ok to have one cheap set but but just the most needed cobalt bits for drilling steel and a few carbide. The carbide are 20 bucks a bit but you only use them for hardened steel and once in a blue moon.The bufffers sears have are great if you can find the 8 inch grinder they have a variable speed and go on sale for 79 bucks once in a while. kellyw

Back