Has anyone tried 316 stainless for guards?

Roy Miller

I have found a steel supplier that carries 316 stainless in all the shapes and sizes I need for guards, pin and tubes at a good price but I usually use 416. 316 has about 4% more chrome and 12% more nickel but it is work hardened stainless. Does anyone have any thoughts or information:confused2:

I've used it on a couple knives in the past.
It's considered marine grade stainless and polishes up nicely, almost like chrome. The only problem with it I had was, if using pins, they never seemed to disappear seemlessly into the guard or bolster. This may have been caused by slightly different alloying but it was free so I used it. As stand alone furniture like a guard or spacer without pins, it looks fine.

Rudy

The 316 ss I known is terrible stuff to even try to work with. It is used a lot in pulp mills where acid or other strong chemicals are used. I found that the 316 being used there was not one to use for knife making. Frank

I am a fitter and worked worked with 316/316L. I have used it for bolster on knives. It works well, takes a good polish. You can buy 316 hily-arc rods, and sheets. This way the bolsters , pin,and liners can all match.
Get the rods from a welding supply house. Hope this helps. Darryl

I've used 316, 303, & 416 for guards & but caps. 300 series stainless is a little harder to work. I friction fit & pin my guards & don't mess with solder.

Back