Having to hand up Grinding knives for a while.

Hate to hear this Laurence. I hope this doesn't mean we wont hear from you occasionally. If you need any help finishing up any prior obligations, I'm willing to do what I can to help you out.

Darrin,
Thanks and its so kind of you to ask, I have it pretty much covered here unless you can stop by and help me clean up some of the drifts of grinding dust.:biggrin: I will keep it in mind if I have any knives i can't finished.

Thanks my friend.

Laurence,
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you tried to continue on after the epidural but it's good that you realize your limitations.
You will do good at whatever decide to pursue after this. You have the right attitude and that's very important.
God speed in your transition.

Calvin,
Thanks Buddy! Yep, it's hard but I know that its not worth possibly crippling myself over grinding large culinary knives.
A break for awhile and then maybe a few small ones.

Laurence, my friend sorry to hear this. I will add you to my prayers for healing. Hopefully we will still be able to talk once in a while. Please when you have a chance PM me if your contact info changes. I'm nearly finished with my first stainless culinary knife for the wife which you inspired me to do. ( what the heck I'll make them a gift knife are the last ones I work on). Still need to show it to you.

I wish you all the best and will keep you and the family in my prayers, I'll call you later in the week.

George

Your knife making days are not over Laurence! Hope everything works out brother, I'll be in touch.

Laurence I had not seen this thread before now and clicked on it and of course it took to the most recent post. So I had to go back to the first and start reading. Man that is a bum deal and I know cause I have been in the same boat for a long time. However at present I am still able to do the work, it just takes me a lot longer than it used too! LOL

Being able to grind may be a matter of how much time you can invest before stopping for the day! Sometimes it requires a break from the routine, and walking away from something that is stressing you out, can be best, at least for a while. Sometimes you just have to look at doing something from a different perspective! It may require sitting instead of standing or maybe an aid in holding the piece!

My "pain management doctor" tells me the other day that down the line I may have to consider some more surgery. I told him well Doc, that day hasn't come yet! They told me back before my first surgery and spinal fussion I would be in a wheel chair in three years tops, without having the surgery. Well all I can say is today I am still walking and it will take a real lot of consideration before I have any more surgery! So I know where you are coming from there! You seem to have a good attitude about it all and believe me that is half of the battle.
After my surgery and fining out I was unable to the things I had always done before, that really got to me. I felt I had never had to ask anyone for help to do stuff and now I had to. The battle with my own demons was one of the hardest things for me to overcome the first couple of years. Then one day I realized I didn't even like myself anymore and I realized I was putting my family through the wringer for something that was no more there fault than mine, and I began to have a whole new relationship with myself and my family, and I began to enjoy life again. Hang in there and don't hesitate to give me a yell if you want to do nothing but talk.

Last edited:
Laurence, my friend sorry to hear this. I will add you to my prayers for healing. Hopefully we will still be able to talk once in a while. Please when you have a chance PM me if your contact info changes. I'm nearly finished with my first stainless culinary knife for the wife which you inspired me to do. ( what the heck I'll make them a gift knife are the last ones I work on). Still need to show it to you.

I wish you all the best and will keep you and the family in my prayers, I'll call you later in the week.

George

George,
Thank you and I defiantly want to see a picture of this knife for your wife.

I certainly understand your urge to continue. My wife still doesn't realize how this affects me. My time may not be far off but until then, Laurence, I will hope you will be in here once in a while. I will always remember you as the maker that hoped and tried to help everyone making knives. Thank you for that Laurence !!! Frank

Frank,
The greatest part of all of this decision I am having to deal with is the love and support of my daring wife Cecilia..
I had been making knives since 96 and we only met & married in 2010 and she has supported all of my knife making decisions.

Us knife makers seem to find some of the greatest gals!

Droppoint,

Fred,
Mudman.
Fred R,
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and encouragement.

I'm not done. Just need to take a break.

Laurence I had not seen this thread before now and clicked on it and of course it took to the most recent post. So I had to go back to the first and start reading. Man that is a bum deal and I know cause I have been in the same boat for a long time. However at present I am still able to do the work, it just takes me a lot longer than it used too! LOL

Being able to grind may be a matter of how much time you can invest before stopping for the day! Sometimes it requires a break from the routine, and walking away from something that is stressing you out, can be best, at least for a while. Sometimes you just have to look at doing something from a different perspective! It may require sitting instead of standing or maybe an aid in holding the piece!

My "pain management doctor" tells me the other day that down the line I may have to consider some more surgery. I told him well Doc, that day hasn't come yet! They told me back before my first surgery and spinal fussion I would be in a wheel chair in three years tops, without having the surgery. Well all I can say is today I am still walking and it will take a real lot of consideration before I have any more surgery! So I know where you are coming from there! You seem to have a good attitude about it all and believe me that is half of the battle.
After my surgery and fining out I was unable to the things I had always done before, that really got to me. I felt I had never had to ask anyone for help to do stuff and now I had to. The battle with my own demons was one of the hardest things for me to overcome the first couple of years. Then one day I realized I didn't even like myself anymore and I realized I was putting my family through the wringer for something that was no more there fault than mine, and I began to have a whole new relationship with myself and my family, and I began to enjoy life again. Hang in there and don't hesitate to give me a yell if you want to do nothing but talk.

Well after all the times we have conversed and pmed I think the C is for Clint? LOL?

I started knife making with time restraints and I improved over the years to the point of opening a large shop & retail location here in Santa Monica where the Sq Ft cost is high. With retail in cutlery really going to sh*& in the last 16 months with all of these younger people that are lead around by their Iphones, they molest your products, pick your brain and snap a picture of the item and surf it on the net until they find it from a internet site with half the overhead I have that can sell it for less.

I had Sharpening, retail knives and customs.
With two of these in decline it's time to get the heck out of this place, fall back and get my health straighten out if i can. The Sharpening I can do out of a truck!

All of the other doctors but the surgeon say, AVOID another surgery if you can to me. You have the right attitude about keeping a smile on your face about what you can do, not what you can't.

Someday,
All of us knife maker's with issues should get together for a Crippled makers hammer & grind in:biggrin: and show all of the tricks we have had to come up with to continue making knives. LOL

I really think there would be a excellent exchange of knowledge and we could all benefit greatly.

That is a bummer Laurence. I know that it has to be tough for you to mostly set it aside for now. Your passion for knives was obvious to all. I wish you the best with your pain and in finding a new hobby to pursue. Don't stop hanging out here.

Good for you for doing what you think is best for your body. That's a smart move and there is a LOT more to life than knives. I'm positive I don't have to tell you that. :) This is not the end of the road.......just a new road. Keep us posted and best of luck!

Laurence,

You've been a great friend personally and a strong asset to the community. I, too hope you stick around our online community as you've been a huge help and friendly inspiration for years - if there's anything I can do, just ask. I'm editing this as I just read your post regarding the retail climate.

That is a bummer Laurence. I know that it has to be tough for you to mostly set it aside for now. Your passion for knives was obvious to all. I wish you the best with your pain and in finding a new hobby to pursue. Don't stop hanging out here.

Good for you for doing what you think is best for your body. That's a smart move and there is a LOT more to life than knives. I'm positive I don't have to tell you that. :) This is not the end of the road.......just a new road. Keep us posted and best of luck!

Thanks John,
I will continue to develop products related to my rhino Finger Skins and other ideas. I have been tolld I can have others make my knives and call them mid-tech?? Maybe sometime down the road? I will be around.

Laurence,

You've been a great friend personally and a strong asset to the community. I, too hope you stick around our online community as you've been a huge help and friendly inspiration for years - if there's anything I can do, just ask. I'm editing this as I just read your post regarding the retail climate.

Frank,
Thanks my friend. I've never seen the economy like this and I don't think anyone else has ether. While vast sums are made at the top and a few with new ideas in electronics, defense, medical products, etc I just don't see a lot filtering down like it use to when there where booms in different segments of our economy.

At the same time we can reach more markets that ever so there is still money to be made by those that have market savvy.

I think there is a large bubble in the secondary custom folder market that may burst in the next year or so? Time will tell?

I truly thank you for your offer of help and hope we and many others here can meet in person some day.

I have a few orders to finish that I think I can handle with many breaks and the ironic thing is I had two Chef's in their whites come in yesterday and each pick a chef knife out of my custom display cabinet, and one say's he will be back next week to order a set. LOL

I will be around!

Hey Laurence it is Cliff but what the hey, just don't call me late for supper. Glad to hear you go good spirits brother just hang in there. Sometimes just talking about it makes you feel better. I don't know why but sometimes it feels good to get it off your chest! As for the surgeons you know the ole saying the deeper the cut the bigger the paycheck!

Cliff,
Do you know the difference between God and a doctor? God knows that he isn't a doctor. LOL Sometimes I tell you!! LOL

Back