Heat treat procedure of A2

Timy

Alright so my goal is 60.

when it says heat to "" and equalize, does that mean just hold it then increase temp to the next equalize. Also all these hold times say 30-45min per inch of thickness, Im doing 1/8 to 3/16 so does that mean 6-12 mins? Also some say not to increase more than 400 degrees an hour, that just sounds ridiculous as who has that kind of time!?

Last question, I plan on doing plate quench. Can I just leave it in the foil or do I need to some how get a piece of 1800 degree steel out of foil and onto platform? ha

Thanks for your time and help guys.

You don't need to ramp up thin A2. Those specs were written to cover large, thick pieces with varying cross sections. Some tools are so thick it takes a while for the thicker sections to heat up to the furnace temp. Ramping up the temp. simply covers all bases.

Just heat the furnace to the hardening temp., load the workpiece, let the furnace go back to set temp., and soak at temp. for 15 to 30 minutes, then cut off the wrap using scissors and plate quench.

Some people quench in the wrap, but I don't.

A2 is air hardening steel, so you have plenty of time to remove the wrap. The quench plates are used to hold the workpiece flat while it cools rapidly to room temp. Helps prevent warping.

I use two pieces of flat steel to quench. Scrap from a die, about 1" thick each. They are heavy enough to remove any bend or twist in the blade.

Last edited:
Don- Appreciate the help!

So no need to preheat the blade? With smaller overs, can I do more than one? Say pull the first out close the door with 1-2 more in the kiln, plate quench the first, then proceed to the second? then third etc?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I tried searching. I have a paragon inbound and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

Don- Appreciate the help!

So no need to preheat the blade? With smaller overs, can I do more than one? Say pull the first out close the door with 1-2 more in the kiln, plate quench the first, then proceed to the second? then third etc?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I tried searching. I have a paragon inbound and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

Yes, if you let the temp. recover for 15 minutes each time.

By the way, a kiln is used for firing ceramics, an oven is used for tempering, and a furnace is used for heat treating.

Furnace! Ah thanks brother!

Funny I was reading posts by you on another forum earlier, didnt realize it was you till I got back on here. Thanks for all the information.

Back