heat treat question.....

Jim Coffee

is there anyway to increase the maximum temp on a oven over the manufacture specs. the oven is rated at 1850 max and i would like to get it up to 2000 without any trouble it's 3kw, 230v, 13 amp and 1850 max.. thanks for any of you help. IS THIS SAFE TO DO? most important

What kind of oven? if it is an Evenheat knifemakers kiln, the controller can be reprogramed, but they are rated for 2200 and sometimes the controller just goes back to 1850, and can be reset. Mine done this and it has the Set Pro controller, if yours is the same I think I still have the instructions on how to fix it, very simple to do. But if yours is rated for 1850 probably not a good idea to change it.

If it is only rated for 1850 you will have to check the individual components for each one's specific max. working temp. The thermocouple and the controller itself are usually going to the most limiting as far as temp. is concerned but you would want to check the ratings on the insulation/refractory, any seals at the door, etc. as well.

Back