Heat Treating W2 from Aldo

Hmmmmm..... 5 gallons of beer at $1.00 a can - just about the same price it costs to get 5 gallons of Parks 50 to Canada. Now, "Heat Treating" has always been code for "going out to the shop for a beer".... Quench the thirst and quench the steel. If the blade survived, it would be a selling point.

Hmmmmm..... 5 gallons of beer at $1.00 a can - just about the same price it costs to get 5 gallons of Parks 50 to Canada. Now, "Heat Treating" has always been code for "going out to the shop for a beer".... Quench the thirst and quench the steel. If the blade survived, it would be a selling point.

LOL Just be sure to quench the steel First before going on to quench your THIRST.

Kevin...I am wondering if the Houghton K would also work for 1075/ 1084/ 5160/ and also O1 or would it be too fast for those steels?

Don, anything that would be good for w2 will also be good for 1075 and 1084. Not sure about the 5160 and 01

Thanks guys...I think I will go ahead and get the Houghton K quench for the three steels and stick with the Canola for the other two.

I have quenched O1 and 52100 in fast oil (DT48) without any breaks so far, but it leaves me nervous. I am searching for a supplier for the houghton slower oils for these steels, but shipping is bloody expensive.

you don't even have to use canola for o1 or 5160, just use whatever cooking oil you can get. Or mineral oil. Either will do fine.

If you can get 80crv2, then leave the 5160 alone. Heat treat by quenching in medium oil.
best luck. Let us see some of your blades when done!

Back