Heat Treatment Oven

Gliden07

Been a lot of questions on here lately about this. I chose a Paragon KM24T with the digital Bartlett control. After a couple of times programming is very easy. The reason I chose this oven is as follows.
1) Door disconnect switch
2) Electronic Relays
3) WiFi Capability
4) Built like a TANK!!
5) Free shipping with tailgate service
These are all standard features on the Paragon, Extra on the Easy Heat. The money I saved on the options from Easy-Heat paid for the Digital controller.

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_172943_127_resize_40.jpg
    IMG_20210206_172943_127_resize_40.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Man, I am happy for you. I finally got to use mine some and I love the thing. I am not a really good multi-tasker so it helps with that because mine has the loud alarm so I can let it do its thing while I work on other stuff. I also really like the Bartlett controller it is very easy to program.

That looks like a killer oven! I've never done my own heat treating. Are these ovens Gas or Electric or a combination of both?

That looks like a killer oven! I've never done my own heat treating. Are these ovens Gas or Electric or a combination of both?

It's 220VAC electric. You can get gas ones too but as far as I know not very popular in the knife community? I have seen gas used for Salt Bath heat treating though. I believe Ed Caffery has one?

Been a lot of questions on here lately about this. I chose a Paragon KM24T with the digital Bartlett control. After a couple of times programming is very easy. The reason I chose this oven is as follows.
1) Door disconnect switch
2) Electronic Relays
3) WiFi Capability
4) Built like a TANK!!
5) Free shipping with tailgate service
These are all standard features on the Paragon, Extra on the Easy Heat. The money I saved on the options from Easy-Heat paid for the Digital controller.
Thanks for this info. After spending a few years thinking that I was settled on the Evenheat 22.5, I'm really starting to lean towards the same Paragon you purchased for many of the reasons you mentioned, but have a few questions for you before I take the plunge:
  1. How long does it take to heat up to 1900F?
  2. Did you buy the drop down door or side open?
  3. Do you feel limited by the smaller internal dimensions than the Evenheat has that would steer you towards the double barrel? I ask this due to wondering if it may be a good thing to have a smaller chamber thus making it easier to control temp a bit more accurately maybe?
  4. I noticed you purchased from Boss. I cannot seem to find the option of adding the Sentinel SmartTouch Controller on his website, yet it is an option on Kiln Frog. I would prefer to purchase it from Boss for reasons that I don't need to explain. Is this something you just called him and requested?
  5. Anything that you don't like about it and/or would add, or do different if dropping another $2k?

Thanks for this info. After spending a few years thinking that I was settled on the Evenheat 22.5, I'm really starting to lean towards the same Paragon you purchased for many of the reasons you mentioned, but have a few questions for you before I take the plunge:
  1. How long does it take to heat up to 1900F?
  2. Did you buy the drop down door or side open?
  3. Do you feel limited by the smaller internal dimensions than the Evenheat has that would steer you towards the double barrel? I ask this due to wondering if it may be a good thing to have a smaller chamber thus making it easier to control temp a bit more accurately maybe?
  4. I noticed you purchased from Boss. I cannot seem to find the option of adding the Sentinel SmartTouch Controller on his website, yet it is an option on Kiln Frog. I would prefer to purchase it from Boss for reasons that I don't need to explain. Is this something you just called him and requested?
  5. Anything that you don't like about it and/or would add, or do different if dropping another $2k?

1) Up to 1900 not sure, I usually am doing something else so not really sure.
2) Drop down door, reason was figured if I ever wanted to extend oven I could drop door and stack some firebrick on it. Not that I will...but!
3) Don't feel limited, I'm a one man shop and feel if I have to do more than 4 blades at one time I'm doing to much at once.
4) Had to call Boss for the control, it only adds cost not time as they are all built to order.
5) The only thing I might do differently is get the 36" been considering doing a sword or 2 but to small. Maybe pile the bricks? LOL!

I will add, Get as big as you think you will ever need! And 220VAC. As I said that the only regret, and physically I couldn't have put the larger one where I wanted. Look at exterior dimensions they are a lot bigger than interior!

Back