Hello...I'm new here...a few of my Neo-tribal attempts

kvehikite

I'm digging this forum and want to learn/add what I can.
The parang chopper is salvaged leaf spring from a dodge truck and the drop point is 1/4" 5160.
Leather backed, hemp wrapped handles finished in shellac.
Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.IMG_1340.jpg
Thanks,
Ken

Hey Kvehikite, I like your work! But, I hate snow. Keep your feet warm and post more pics of your work!

Thanks. I was glad to find a forum that is all about neo-tribal stuff. There is a lot of really cool stuff on here.

Good looking work, Ken. My only suggestion (and it's hard to tell details from just a picture) might be to tighten up your handle wrap. Every other revolution of the cord around the tang, push them tight up against the others, eliminating any gap. Makes for a neater final product.

I like both blades. :)

Thanks Stormcrow,
I see what you are talking about. I'll tighten the gaps up. Seems like part of the problem I have is that the hemp tends to vary in diameter along its length. Most of it is consistent and then you get a section that's really fat.

Ken

I hear ya on the variable thickness of the cord. It can be aggravating. Focusing on tightening the loops of the wrap will help, and you might give the wrap more coats of sealer (shellac in this case). It'll help fill in between.

If you want to try a cord that's less wild, Ben Tendick has done some neat wraps using bamboo cord, and Tai Goo has used cotton cord as well.

Back