Help me pic a leather stitcher

BrianBoyles

Hello,
I am ready to step up and purchase a new leather sewing machine. Most of my sheaths are kydex but more and more of my customers are wanting leather sheaths. When it comes to leather I normally hand stitch or farm out my leather work. I want to be able to do more in house faster. I thought about a tippman but I will be doing a lot of leather work and I want something with a motor.
I am debating between 3 great machines.

http://www.artisansew.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=167

http://www.artisansew.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=166

http://www.leathermachineco.com/catalog.php?item=2

If you use one of these I would love to here your opinions. If you use something different or sell leather stitchers let me know. I am all ears as I know some of you are much more talented in the leather department than me. lol

Thanks
Brian

The cobra is the third think I have listed in my first post. It also looks like a great machine but is more expensive than the artisian toro 3000.

Are you using the Cobra Mike?

I'm using a Tippman but wish for a Cobra. The Tech guy for Artisian moved out and is the top guy at Cobra. Worst trouble is that I am the fourth owner of the Tippman and even though I sent in in for an update I am not very proud of it. I have more problems than I should.

I have heard from those that love the tippman and those that hate it. My buddy uses a tippman and runs a leather shop with only a tippman. It works for him.
I want a motorized machine though. I like the cobra but the artisian 3000 looks like it will do what i want and is priced at 1795.00. This will be my first leather sewing machine so I want to make the right choice. I have learned the hard way to buy the best.

Paul Long uses one and loves it. .

That quote is a TRUE story. My toro 4000 is about six or seven years old and when I bought it they were give or take a nickel $4000 and I can't begin to tell you how many times that machine and the Artisan 797AB setting beside it have paid for themselves. The Toro 3000 and 3200 were not yet born when I got my machine or I would most probably have the 3000 instead.

The Toro 3000 is a great machine and the price is almost ridiculously low considering what it will do and the time it will save you.

Steve at Cobra is a great guy and he does know his machines, and his machines are probably on par with the Artisans, and yes he was formerly with Artisan. Now having said that, I have a seven or so year relationship with Jerry Zonis and the Artisan group and not once, have they disappointed me with either technical support or customer service. I guess I should add here that the quality of the machines has made the need for technical support and service damned scarce, because I just haven't had any real problems, and the few I had early on were due to "pilot error" mostly.

If your primary goal is sheath making and things of that general size, then the 3000 is definitely the machine for you. The 4000 is generally about the same machine, but with a wider throat which you will not need. All of the machines have been improved and upgraded since I bought mine, so now for less money you actually get an improved product.

Buy the 3000 with confidence! I bet you'll be glad you did.

Edited to add. I started out with a Tippman and it , too was a great little machine and it served me well and was a great learning tool, but it is close enough to the price of the Artisan that it becomes a no brainer making the decision between the two considering the vast difference in features.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Paul. You made some great points and have helped me make up my mind.

I am going to order the Aritisian 3000 next week.

Thanks Brian

By the way awesome leather work Paul.

Back