Help Please: Motor Maintenance

Mike Martinez

After a LONG four days of "white glove," cleaning my shop and doing yearly maintenance on every piece of equipment and tool I find myself with a persistent problem with one of my Leeson 2hp 3ph motors. I took it apart to retrieve the ground screw which fell in while trying to attach the ground wire, and though this is quite a simple task in itself, it now produces a very high-pitched whine. Normally it would not be an issue as hearing protection is always worn but it is loud enough to penetrate my Surefire Sonic Defender ear plugs.

Since it did not make this horrid sound prior to being taken apart, I now fear that it was a result of my "maintanence." If you guys have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this very annoying issue, it would be great appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Mike

I would take it apart again. Taking out a screw might have dislodged a washer and this might be the source. If not, call the tech dept of the motor manufacturer and have them help you.

Likely a bearing issue. Not much else in an electric motor to make noise. Assuming you put it back together properly.

It has brand new bearings. I'm thinking I may have damaged the wiring so one more disassemble to make sure its right.

Back