Help with Bubble Jig

I got my Bubble Jig in and trying to figure out the best degrees to use for when I am starting to grind and how much I should subtract when I start stepping down. I don't know if it depends on thickness of material or kind of knife. I like it and it really helps I just don't know the best way to use it. Thanks for any help and advice.

Fred ( the bubble jig manufacturer) has made several tutorials on youtube that are worth while watching.

[video=youtube;Jp5NLNmMe2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp5NLNmMe2Y[/video]

I am making relatively small hunters out of 1/8' steel and I generally start with a 4. I don't normally change the degree on the bubble but if I feel I am getting my edge a little too thin too quick I just cheat the bubble up to the line closest to the belt until I get my grind line where I want it. I only have a few knives under my belt so take my advice for whatever you feel its worth. I did get that tip from Fred though. Don't hesitate to ask him questions. He wants you to be successful using his product and I have found him very helpful.

I got my Bubble Jig in and trying to figure out the best degrees to use for when I am starting to grind and how much I should subtract when I start stepping down. I don't know if it depends on thickness of material or kind of knife. I like it and it really helps I just don't know the best way to use it. Thanks for any help and advice.
The angles are not specific to any given blade or geometry for that matter. After a little practice, you will look at the blade you are about to grind and know which angles will work best.
Start with a 5 degree setting on most knives to develop the edge; as stated below, with many blades you can just cheat the bubble towards the black line in the vile and get the results you want. Rule of thumb: if the edge is thin enough but your grind lines aren't high enough, drop the angle a bit. Small angle change will give a slight change in grind line height. Big change in angle [1 1/2 degrees ] will result in a big change in grind height. Write the angles down when you like the grind progression on a blade so if you want to make the same blade again, you can refer to the original angles used and duplicate the original.

I am making relatively small hunters out of 1/8' steel and I generally start with a 4. I don't normally change the degree on the bubble but if I feel I am getting my edge a little too thin too quick I just cheat the bubble up to the line closest to the belt until I get my grind line where I want it. I only have a few knives under my belt so take my advice for whatever you feel its worth. I did get that tip from Fred though. Don't hesitate to ask him questions. He wants you to be successful using his product and I have found him very helpful.
Your correct, I love success :) Solid advise you give here. Thanks for posting.

Fred ( the bubble jig manufacturer) has made several tutorials on youtube that are worth while watching.

[video=youtube;Jp5NLNmMe2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp5NLNmMe2Y[/video]

Thanks for posting this link. :)

Back