help with making lemonade

Guindesigns

Well while trying to buy steel for making some chef knives I bought a bar of O1 tool steel that is 1.5" wide when I needed 2" so now what do I do with it? its .093" thick so it won't be good for hunting knives. what other knives could I use it for. I need some ideas. Help.. lol

you don't think it be to thin? I was thinking maybe fillet knfe.

Look for .070" thickness for fillet blades and even then you will have to remove *a lot* of material to get it where you want. If you do make a fillet blade, stick with traditional hardness and don't make it softer for flexibility. Thinning the blade tip is how you get flexibility, not going with softer steel.

1.5 is the sweet spot for most kitchen blades other than chefs knives. Slicers, petty/utility, boning/fillet knives, parers, you name it. 2 inch is for knuckle clearance on the cutting board when chopping. Look at Japanese patterns for great slicer designs.

.093 is a great thickness for a blade longer than 4 inches and shorter than 8 inches. By controlling your taper you control the flex.

Like Boss says, knives slice. Thin is where cutting performance starts. The only reason to go thicker is durability and reduced flex. Mora knives are highly regarded outdoors knives. Everything about them contradicts what people think makes a good knife.

Very very usable steel you have there.

1.5 is the sweet spot for most kitchen blades other than chefs knives. Slicers, petty/utility, boning/fillet knives, parers, you name it. 2 inch is for knuckle clearance on the cutting board when chopping. Look at Japanese patterns for great slicer designs.

.093 is a great thickness for a blade longer than 4 inches and shorter than 8 inches. By controlling your taper you control the flex.

Like Boss says, knives slice. Thin is where cutting performance starts. The only reason to go thicker is durability and reduced flex. Mora knives are highly regarded outdoors knives. Everything about them contradicts what people think makes a good knife.

Very very usable steel you have there.
I know thin makes better slicers but I think thick spins. But i bought it and will use it to make something. Maybe a BBQ knife.

Can you alter the design they want and still use a straight spine and angle the cutting edge. Make it with smooth curves and a western full tang handle it will resemble a western chef's knife more that way.

Back