HF 4x6 bandsaw

Nylund knives

Hello!

I've been after a metall cutting bandsaw for quite sometime now.

Yesterday I finally found the chinese made "HF 4x6 bandsaw" locally. Quite a surprise since I live in Finland and haven't seen them for sale anywhere in Europe before.

I mounted it today and tried cutting some mild steel, but I'm not that impressed. It did cut thru a 0,187''x2'' mild steel bar like butter in the horisontal position, but I was hardly able to cut out a 0.156 thick and 3 inch long sticktang blade when using it in the vertical position.

Am I doing something wrong?

What can I espect from this bandsaw?

After what I've seen on the forums it shouldn't be a problem cutting out profiles in 0,156 thick steel bars...

Best regards Jakob

ETA: You might also need to make some adjustments on the saw. Tighten the hell out of the tension and make sure your guids are nice and straight. I had to tweak mine as well. But you can expect too much for the price you pay on the red devils. I love mine!!!

It could be the blade and the small teeth. Try getting a larger toothed blade from TRAcy. No matter how you look at it, cutting out stock on the steel horse is a tedious process. I have the same BS and mainly use it to do cut-offs and rough profiling but soon run out of patience and either hit the angle grinder or straight to the 8" wheel. I would just buy a better blade and see what you think. Good score on the BS, they sure come in handy!

Best of luck,

Chris

Hello!

I've been after a metall cutting bandsaw for quite sometime now.

Yesterday I finally found the chinese made "HF 4x6 bandsaw" locally. Quite a surprise since I live in Finland and haven't seen them for sale anywhere in Europe before.

I mounted it today and tried cutting some mild steel, but I'm not that impressed. It did cut thru a 0,187''x2'' mild steel bar like butter in the horisontal position, but I was hardly able to cut out a 0.156 thick and 3 inch long sticktang blade when using it in the vertical position.

Am I doing something wrong?

What can I espect from this bandsaw?

After what I've seen on the forums it shouldn't be a problem cutting out profiles in 0,156 thick steel bars...

Best regards Jakob

It is a good bargain and very useful saw. It on sale right now for $189.00. Yes it will do what you need to do. A lot of knifemakers use this saw. Mine paid for it self on first Damascus Billet I cut.
Do yourself a favor get a good hard back blade or a bi metal blade. Because the blades they have at HF is junk. The 64 1/2'' saw blade is common blade and should be able to find it in most hardware stores. You knife supply house also carry blades.

Jim said it best. I forgot to mention make sure its a Bi-Metal. Good looking out Jim!

It is a good bargain and very useful saw. It on sale right now for $189.00. Yes it will do what you need to do. A lot of knifemakers use this saw. Mine paid for it self on first Damascus Billet I cut.
Do yourself a favor get a good hard back blade or a bi metal blade. Because the blades they have at HF is junk. The 64 1/2'' saw blade is common blade and should be able to find it in most hardware stores. You knife supply house also carry blades.

Yeah I will definetly get some better Bi-metal blades. We do got a local company from who we buy blades from. We are regular customers for wood cutting blades and can get bi-metal blades quite cheap from them.

I will also make a better toolrest for it.

Are there any other modifications I should do?

Back