Hi again. Making P.Heart knife for buddy coming home soon... have questions.

J

JMDesigns

Hi... I've been gone while because I couldn't afford innanet... not even innanet light. But things have a way a getting good all at once sometimes, so now I am back and can resume my uptake of this new hobby.

So my buddy got hurt over in the sandbox and is coming home in a couple of months. He took some shrapnel along his back - safer to leave some of it in. / He got the purple heart. So I'm going to make him a knife... I wanted to when he first went out, but didn't.

I'd like to find some very nice burly or curly purple heart - something that is really purple. I plan on getting a DDR 3 button-lock as I already have an idea for the button. I chose the kit because I'd like to make it an auto so that he can play with it, as I really doubt he would carry it around for risk of messing it up.

I would like to get it custom etched, and possibly a finish as well. I'm also curious if any of you could heat treat blanks I'd like to grind, and possibly do custom finishes like blueing/black, sand/bead - blasting, or possibly that dip/heat process that produces the rainbow effects on damascus (forget the name right now).

I would probably never need more than six at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey JM , thats a great thing to do . As far as the purple wood goes , I use a company called STABURL . I know they have some nice purple stabilized Box Elder . Just google the name Staburl , something should come up . Good Luck , Bill

Back