high carbon steel and blade discoloration from blood

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
Anybody ever have discoloration on a carbon steel blade from blood???? Specifically 1095 blade was stained/discolored cleaning a few dozen fallow deer.

Does anyone have a suggestion for cleaning up the staining. Any tricks???

Thank you in advance for any responses.

DeMo

That's completely normal. Just about any non-stainless steel will discolor/stain if it comes into contact with blood. If the knife is cleaned and dried quickly after the task is complete, you can usually clean it with warm soapy water and something like #0000 steel wool. In some cases it will remove the stains, but most likely not completely. Whatever you do, DO NOT allow the blade to sit very long, or overnight without being cleaned/lubed.....otherwise blood will literally pit the blade, and the only way to get that out (provided its not too deep) is to refinish/sand the blade. The same thing will happen if you cut anything with and acid or alkali in it......oranges, tomatoes, peppers, or just about any type of meat. The best advice I can offer is to use a good quality paste wax rather then oil on carbon steel blades.......it won't eliminate the staining, but it will significantly reduce it, and give you a long period of time to clean it before rust/pitting starts.

Some staining/patina is just the name of the game with carbon steel. The more polished the steel is to begin with, and the quicker it is wiped off during use, the less it will stain, but depending on what you're cutting, sometimes there's not much you can do to avoid at least a light discoloration. The stains can usually be polished back off, but personally I'd rather just let it build some patina/character and keep on using it.

Thank you for the responses. I knew blood would stain/patina a knife. However, this knife took part in cleaning 30 fallow deer and came back looking quite different. I got most of it cleaned up last night. The rest we will call a patina and it will just have to stick around.

Ed - I use Renaissance Wax on the blade. Thoughts?

DeMo

Hey Dennis, did you ever see my rust test? I'm sure its not conclusive and everybody has their own opinions, but here's what I found.
[video=youtube;O7ZThs1y8xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZThs1y8xs[/video]

Back