Highlighting dye problems

Sampson knifeworks

I was using some highlighting dye the other day and it was looking pretty awesome until I noticed my layout lines showing through! A friend showed me how to use red ink pen to do my layouts for my borders and basket weave. My regular brown dye and cordovan dye has always covered the red ink. Any suggestions on how to do my layout without the ink? maybe a stylus or special marker of some sort? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Clint

I can't even think of anything more permanent than ink of any color on russet leather! You can use a stylus or scratch awl or any similar tool and also permanently (almost) mark the leather without any color involved. Just be very aware and make your marks so light that YOU can barely see them, and the stamping will cover them up and they just disappear. Key words VERY LIGHT layout.

Paul

I can't even think of anything more permanent than ink of any color on russet leather!
I learned about using red ink many moons ago by some of the best leather crafters around and use it all the time, with zero problems. Red ink, in particular delible (i.e. washable/non pemanent - red is a transient color - one that will fade naturally, especially in sunlight) types, GENERALLY disappears when dyed with anything darker than tan - best bet though is to first use a deglazer of what ever sort you prefer after construction and before dying - it's something I do no matter what I use to layout lines with since it removes oils and any other "stains" from my hands, etc. that were applied during construction.
You can delible/washable markers at sewing supply stores or I know some folks who use the washable markers found in the kids section of pens, etc at Wally World, etc.

I can't even think of anything more permanent than ink of any color on russet leather!
I learned about using red ink many moons ago by some of the best leather crafters around and use it all the time, with zero problems. Red ink, in particular delible (i.e. washable/non pemanent - red is a transient color - one that will fade naturally, especially in sunlight) types, GENERALLY disappears when dyed with anything darker than tan - best bet though is to first use a deglazer of what ever sort you prefer after construction and before dying - it's something I do no matter what I use to layout lines with since it removes oils and any other "stains" from my hands, etc. that were applied during construction.
You can delible/washable markers at sewing supply stores or I know some folks who use the washable markers found in the kids section of pens, etc at Wally World, etc.

As you found out Hi-liters on the other hand are not alone enough to cover up/remove the dye. I know they are advertised as dyes but are designed for adding hi-lites only and not really for dying.

Looks like the consensus is make the marks you make on the face of the leather as inconspicuous as possible. But any, and I mean ANY mark you make will be visible to someone, even if its only you.

Thanks for the input guys ! This was my first time with the highlighting dyes and did not realize how light they were! I should do better next time, since I know what to expect. I enjoy leather working and need to slow down with it to get better. I tend to hurry through it after spending so much time finishing my knives.
I appreciate your time,
Clint

Back