Hiya from NE Oklahoma

OkieCowboy

Yup.. yet another new guy checking in...here to make friends and learn as much as I can about making knives...I ordered some steel and a file...whats next? :biggrin:... can't be that hard can it? Anyway...thanks for all the info you guys share on a daily basis. ..sure helps out the learning curve

Man your set then, oh wait need a tape measure or ruler but its easy........ to learn is easy to make a bunch of friends here too. Welcome to the pack.

Welcome from Penna. I've learned a lot here just by listening and looking, I'm sure you will as well. Post some pics once you get going, it's true that pictures say a thousand words. Glad your on board!

Wow..what a warm welcome... Glad to see some in my area..do you know if there are any gatherings, clubs, groups or just guys that like to gather up and show a new guy the ropes..I feel I am probably a little older for just starting out..alot of the photos I have seen seem to be younger guys getting into it..so..I have lots of lurnin to do ...again...very impressed with the warm welcome...what a great bunch of folks

..do you know if there are any gatherings, clubs, groups or just guys that like to gather up and show a new guy the ropes

I've asked the same question on here, and haven't had any response. There used to be a very active club in Ft. Smith many years ago, but as far as I can tell it's long gone. I'm figuring it out on my own, with the help of the forum and YouTube, just isn't anybody around here that I can find. How old is old? I'm 46 and just started, but I think the older you are, the more patience and focus you have anyway.

Well we are about the same age then. I am 47. I agree with the Patience and focus, that is for sure!. Well perhaps sometime there will be a need for a new club or something, maybe we can get a gathering or something going someday...as soon as I figure out what I am doing...that should not take to long right? :)

Well, I see you ordered some steel and a file, that's what I did on my first knife. I made a filing jig that worked very well, check out youtube and look for a guy/channel named Gough Customs. He's got a great video on making/using a filing jig. There are others too, that's just the one I used. Your elbows will be sore, but you can make a nice blade with a couple files and a hacksaw. Here's a pic of mine...
My filing jig.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, I'll be joining. Never heard of you guys until tonight, website has a little info that's out of date, but very interesting. Are you having a show this November?

I don't know of any clubs either. But I'm a fairly new member here myself. And I'm not actually as much of a "maker" as a restorer. I'm mostly a gun collector with interest in military guns/related weapons. Which I made a hobby of acquired in poor condition and refurbishing for winter projects. By proxy I also became interesting the military knives of mostly WW-2. And noticing that many still had good blades but had handles that had deteriorated to the extent of rendering them useless and nearly worthless. So I began buying them and taught myself how to clean them up and replace the stacked leather handles. Impressed with the steel these knives were made of (particularly the PAL-36 and Cattaraugus 225Q) I began to notice all the knives that had very worn blades. Making them even more worthless. And thought what a shame that this great steel should go to waste. So I switched to buying them and repurposing the blades to whatever configuration and use what was left presented. And have begun experimenting with adding Stag and bone handles.
So I'm here principally to learn as well. I can tell you that there is a knife makers store at German Corner. Just north of Owasso about a mile west of hwy 169. And that knife making is very well represented at the larger Tulsa gun shows. Of which the Wannemacher (the worlds largest) is next week. (Nov. 8 & 9). You should be able to find out if any area clubs exist there.
http://trailsendknifecompany.com/

Last edited:
My most recent and next projects. 1st is very worn Camillus MK-2 blade made into a stag handle bowie. IMAG0452_zpsa71d5be7.jpg

Next is a very abused Cattaraugus 225Q. Planning on trying my hand at a bone handle on it.
IMAG0453_zpsbc15d02a.jpg

Back