Hollow grind vs Blade width???

Hankins

Has someone out there correlated what wheel size does what height of Hollow grind?
I know there is an Ideal Height for each sized wheel to make complete contact top to bottom hollow grind. Looking for the right wheel to do a double hollow grind on a 3/16" x 1 1/4" wide blade for a Chute knife, leaving a 1/8" or so center.

Also looking to do an Edge to Spine hollow grind on the same blade width and thickness. My thoughts were to use a Platen that has a radius on the face to accomplish this...
Suggestions???

http://bimjo.com/free/widget.html

Someof the knfe supply houses used to sell a slide rule kind of chart, but I can't find it right now.

"Also looking to do an Edge to Spine hollow grind on the same blade width and thickness. My thoughts were to use a Platen that has a radius on the face to accomplish this...
Suggestions??? "

Someone is already selling these in different radii

use a little Google and you should find it.

Last edited:
http://bimjo.com/free/widget.html

Someof the knfe supply houses used to sell a slid rule kind of chart, but I can't find it right now.

"Also looking to do an Edge to Spine hollow grind on the same blade width and thickness. My thoughts were to use a Platen that has a radius on the face to accomplish this...
Suggestions??? "

Someone is already selling these in different radii

use a little Google and you should find it.

I know what the "Wheel Diameter" and "Stock Thickness" is but what is the "Edge Scribe"?

Is it the measurement of the thickness of the blade from the outside to the scribed line? Kinda like when you scribe 2 lines on the edge minus .030 in the center to leave for heat treating and the "Edge Scribe" would be the measurement from the outside edge to the first scribed line?

I know what the "Wheel Diameter" and "Stock Thickness" is but what is the "Edge Scribe"?

Is it the measurement of the thickness of the blade from the outside to the scribed line?

Kinda like when you scribe 2 lines on the edge minus .030 in the center to leave for heat treating and the "Edge Scribe" would be the measurement from the outside edge to the first scribed line?

I didn't create it, I only found it:

I'm taking it as the .030 edge thickness that you want to leave in the centre.

If it was the outside measurement, then the stock thickness wouldn't be in the calculation...

If it's the inside measurement, then it needs to be subtracted from the stock thickness in the calculations...

...I looked some more...

There is an excel page here where you can see the calculations
http://bimjo.com/free/hg_calc.xls

they list "Edge Scribe Line" as 1/2 the final thickness of the edge
-that's not intuitive...I would not have set it up that way..

Try it from there and let us know if it works for you.

Last edited:
I plugged in some values. It looks like the "Edge Scribe" is the desired thickness of the blade edge after grinding and before sharpening. Personally, I wouldn't get caught up in it. Just grind.:D
-John

Back