Home made Anvil?

The other issue is collecting a d storing the darn thing till I move house. The wife has put up with some crazy items being forced into our cupboards so far.... But....
Anvils are VERY easy to store. It's just a pain in the A to move them (by design)

Even something like a 200 pound anvil will EASILY fit in the trunk of a car. You can make the anvil base on location.

Anvil bases can be made a LOT of different ways. I wouldn't worry about it till you're in your shop and ready to use the anvil. Depending on the type of anvil and the type of floor you have you may want a different base. If you have crappy concrete, you need something with more contact area on the floor than if you're on a 12" fiber reinforced concrete slab.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I was thinking to drill large bore holes into the top of a crap one, then cast steel into the holes, flatten with a grinder, then plane with a mill (that I don't have yet) then tig weld a I inch hardened steel plate on top. But... People want 400 plus quid for crap large anvils as well as large good anvils.
A worn out "real anvil" is worth fixing rather than trying to modify a cast iron "anvil shaped object".

I'll link to THE anvil repair process (the most highly referenced and regarded one I know of) tomorrow when I get on my laptop and find the bookmark.

Anvils are VERY easy to store. It's just a pain in the A to move them (by design)

Even something like a 200 pound anvil will EASILY fit in the trunk of a car. You can make the anvil base on location.

Anvil bases can be made a LOT of different ways. I wouldn't worry about it till you're in your shop and ready to use the anvil. Depending on the type of anvil and the type of floor you have you may want a different base. If you have crappy concrete, you need something with more contact area on the floor than if you're on a 12" fiber reinforced concrete slab.

LOL you haven't seen my 'Mr bean' car lol

LOL you haven't seen my 'Mr bean' car lol
That car is VERY European of you. :D

I still stand by what I said. A 200lb anvil will fit in the "boot" (like that? Calling the truck a boot? Making you feel at home?)

I bet you that a 200 pound anvil will fit in the boot without trouble. The face isn't but maybe 5 inches wide (depends on anvil).

What type of fuel economy do you get? With today's economy, a Spark is something to BRAG about :D

Edit: I bet it's AWESOME in the city!

Last edited:
What type of fuel economy do you get? With today's economy, a Spark is something to BRAG about :D

Edit: I bet it's AWESOME in the city!

Haha its a decent car actually, and yeah I can fill it up for 40 quid and it drives a good 170 miles on that . Got it cheap at auction. Probably could get an anvil in it. Might drag the back bumper a bit :)

As far as getting a cast iron ASO and welding a steel plate to it I see some problems. Stick welding will not give you a good connection to the cast iron base and cast iron is not the simplest thing to stick weld. Forge welding welding would be a nightmare. You would have to build an open solid fuel forge to get both the anvil body and steel plate up to welding temperature and then forge welding the two together. Then don't forget you will want to quench the top and then keep the heat in the body from over drawing the hardness.

I once saw a post on You Tube of a new face plate being welded onto an old body. Besides it taking hours to get the body up to temp it struck as a good way for someone to get badly injured.

Doug

Another avenue to try.

Check out British Steel or possibly even a steel foundry. Do some calling around and you might be able to get a sizable piece of steel scrap that will work as an anvil. Then you don't have to go through the process of trying to make one.

I have a 35 lb piece of 52100 round that works for small stuff.

Also check out machine shops. I've worked in several and while many are more careful with their scrap now than they used to be, you still might find something useful.

Last edited:
Christ Centered Forge (I think) hard faced a cheap anvil and said it worked pretty good. You can probably look it up on YouTube.

Another avenue to try.

Check out British Steel or possibly even a steel foundry. Do some calling around and you might be able to get a sizable piece of steel scrap that will work as an anvil. Then you don't have to go through the process of trying to make one.

I have a 35 lb piece of 52100 round that works for small stuff.

Also check out machine shops. I've worked in several and while many are more careful with their scrap now than they used to be, you still might find something useful.
Thank you will check them out!

I've never tried it, but I've been wanting to, just so I know it's possible.

Make sure you use a thick plate.

A better way of doing this might be to weld strips to the face of the anvil. That way you have a solid connection ON the face and don't end up with a hollow spot in the middle of the anvil face.

It's possible Check this vid. You use self hardening welding sticks and weld a solid layer all over the top, then grind it flat.

Gotcha...
You must not watch Top Gear UK or Wheeler Dealers. I mean, the cast has changed and it just isn't the same anymore, but the older Top Gear episodes with Clarkson, May, and Hammond (and The Stig, of course) were good.

Wheeler Dealers is still a good show. Was Mike Brewer and Edd Chyna, but Edd left and they've had two other mechanics since then (Ant Anstead and Marc Priestley - I had to Google that...)

If ya like car shows and don't mind British accents, I recommend both shows (ESPECIALLY the older episodes)

Back