Home made micarta

JawJacker

Ok, I made some black canvas micarta with west marine epoxy. This stuff is tough to finish sand, what are the best belts to do this, I was convinced I was trying to finish sand dried concrete, that stuff is a beast. I used a flap sander wheel on the hand held grinder after everything else failed, but you don't have the best control. How do you guys roll on this?

Jaw,
With Micarta, Stabilized woods etc.
On my 2 x 72 Belt grinder First at 50% speed, I use Hermes 40 grit A/O belt, for shaping. Then a Hermes Superflex in 120 at about 40% then a 220 grit superflex and then at 30% speed use a RB346 flex in 600 grit. I then hand sand from there to a 1000 grit. You may want to stop 220 grit or? depending on how grippy or shiny you want the finished handle?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well, it didn't turn out well. This is 1084 acid and satin. I sanded shaped all that went fine, but my micarta looks odd. I cut 5 blanks next one will be wood.knife1.jpg

check out all my micarta products I've made, i think there's a series of photos of how i do mine, best of luck jawjacker :)

Jaw,
What grit did you finish your homemade Micarta too? I use to use a lot of micarta. Then I became really allergic to the formeldyhye and had to stop using it. Your shouldn't have any. But what I found was almost every different kind of factory micarta had a different level of finish that I liked best on it. I suggest you go down to say, 220 and see if you like it there ? then 320, 400, Blah Blah. My favorite on Canvas micarta for a working knife was 220, you could feel the Canvas in the grip.

The blade looks great from what I can see? Remember that its a working knife and I like a grippy handle over looks with a knife like you made, so I wouldn't worry about the aesthetics of the finish.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Its at 400 Im going to try and bead blast it. I just cant figure how the gray is in there looks odd Ill take better pics later.

All my black canvas micarta has a gray look until I pass 400 grit. Doesn't seam to look totally black until 600 or higher and then not a black black.

rps20130730_212811_575.jpg

twss- Heavy duty bird bath - Lowes job.

TacticallySharp- Ill give that a try next time, I used walmart duck back canvas didnt know if that might have caused it.

As in Micarta, there are different material bases, you have canvas, linen and paper. All 3 have their distinct look. Since you used canvas, I would think that it should be similar to canvas Micarta you would buy commercially. just a thought.

I have found that for a tactical type knife I like a glass bead blast finish.

I think the last picture posted looks great!

God Bless
Mike

Back