Homemade heat treat furnace WIP.

Tod Lowe

Ok. I started a thread about making a heat treat furnace and had a few replies but nobody had said they had tried this one.http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=31
I'm forging ahead anyway and will share my progress if anyone is interested. I'm just a hobbyist knife maker and I don't pretend to be an expert on anything so follow at your own risk.:D

The frame work is done.
I see now the best way to build this is lay the brick out and build it around the brick.
I didn't follow the instructions or dimensions from the link.I didn't see any reason to have the half bricks on the sides. I figured I only lost .75 width of inside room of the furnace by not cutting the bricks like the designer did. I don't see why my way wont work but we will see.

Here is the frame.... its pretty basic.

Last edited:
Hey don't stop now and don't wait for us. Keep building and posting. Looks great so far. What is the steel and diamentions?

Good project. I made one based on the same tutorial a few years back. It's been working well, though it needs a recondition and a new coil. Here's my setup:

IMG_6498.jpg

RandomPicsNathansShop034.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Nick actually pointed out your thread to me as he remembered my build. I'm just starting up over here, so I'll keep tabs on your build.

On thing that I think helps keep everything sealed up well is to build the main body out of a single piece of weld steel folded twice to form a U shape. Then add your door, back, and lid. It just reduces the number of seams. I also used some furnace cement (Rutlands or similar) to seal between bricks. The door is a hollow shell that I stuffed with high temp glass fiber insulation and created a seal using high temp tadpole gasket and stainless strapping I picked up from a local refractory supplier. I just found that it was easier for me with limited tools to build this way than to try and frame fire bricks in the door, though that works well if you can pull it off.

--nathan

Last edited:
Good project. I made one based on the same tutorial a few years back. It's been working well, though it needs a recondition and a new coil. Here's my setup:

IMG_6498.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Nick actually pointed out your thread to me as he remembered my build. I'm just starting up over here, so I'll keep tabs on your build.

On thing that I think helps keep everything sealed up well is to build the main body out of a single piece of weld steel folded twice to form a U shape. Then add your door, back, and lid. It just reduces the number of seams. I also used some furnace cement (Rutlands or similar) to seal between bricks. The door is a hollow shell that I stuffed with high temp glass fiber insulation and created a seal using high temp tadpole gasket and stainless strapping I picked up from a local refractory supplier. I just found that it was easier for me with limited tools to build this way than to try and frame fire bricks in the door, though that works well if you can pull it off.

--nathan

Sweet Brotha!2thumbs
That thing looks like its puttin out some serious heat.
Im glad you showed up. Others are very interested in this build also.

My first question is how hot does the sides and top get and how thick of steel did you use for the side walls and back?
I am working on the door design now.
It s good to see what worked for you. I plan on using 2x2 angle Iron so the bricks will have something to sit on. You door latch system looks good too.

Where did you get the controller?

I picked up the controller from Auber Instruments as well as my K-type thermocouple. They have good prices and good products. You may want to opt for a little higher model than my simple PID controller. Maybe their unit with ramp/soak control so you can control ramp/holds/etc. and do controlled temperature descent for annealing.

I used pretty thin guage weld steel for the body. Really, the insullation effectiveness in is the brick, and the body serves just to hold the bricks together in proper position. That being said, once the oven is heat saturated, the sides and top get pretty hot. Definitely want it on legs, and later on, I ended up placing my oven legs on some long scraps of bar stock I had laying around to better disipate the heat coming through the legs and protect the table. It wasn't burning the table, but I thought it better to be safe than sorry. You can touch the sides of the oven very quickly, but if you leave your hand there for any length of time when the oven is fully heat soaked, you will probably burn yourself. Definitely not as insullated as an industrial oven. Actually, the door may be the best insullated portion of the oven and gets warm, but rarely too hot.

One thing I learned the hard way is to watch your electrical connections at the back of the oven and the coil. I had originally bent a loop into the end of the coil and attached it to a stainless bolt by sandwiching it between two washers. This unfortunately created some very narrow spaces in which an electrical arc was able to form and burn through the coil over time. I changed it by actually drilling a small hole through the stainless bolt, passing the end of the wire into/through the hole, and tightening up a nut against the wire. That eliminated my arcing problem.

Keep in mind that once the oven has been in use a few times, the coil will stiffen up and become more brittle. Make sure your grooves in your brick hold it well and use some "staples" made from the kanthal wire to anchor the coil into the brick to prevent it from jumping its grooves. Also, if the wire touces itself, it will short and take the shortest path to complete the electrical loop, effectively bypassing whatever is in between the two touching segments.

I have the thermocouple entering the middle of the oven and the tip of it very near the center of the oven chamber. This allows me to get a reading that is more accurate to the space where my knife will be sitting. A sheilded thermocouple may actually give you a more accurate reading because it is less effected by radiant heat from the coils as they cycle on and off. I believe Auber also sells the sheilds for the TC.

Anyhow, good luck, and have fun. Build in some sort of safety to cut the current to the coils when you open the door. I didn't use an interrupter switch, but I do always flip the master power off when I am removing or inserting a knife. Those coils are live at 220 and pushing 15 amps. All it takes is one small wrong movement to ruin your day.

--nathan

If you put the fire blanket between the brick and steel plates would this help keep in heat and keep it cooler to the touch?

hey guys

really dumb question

what kind of cost are we looking at with a homebuilt and a good controller capable of soaking and ramping up?
D

hey guys

really dumb question

what kind of cost are we looking at with a homebuilt and a good controller capable of soaking and ramping up?
D

My brother in law who is my electrical guy on this operation said he just purchased one off e-bay for 60 bucks. Im not going to advise on it until Im sure it works.

This wip is going to take longer then expected with the illness of my father in law. My wife is spending considerable time at the hospital while I take care of the kids. I will post updates though as I finish each stage.

Just found the thread on the oven. How's it coming along? I would like to put one together myself. Thanks for posting your WIP pics and info.
Bruce

IMG_6498.jpg

--nathan
Thanks for the tip on the furnace cement. I was wondering if I should use some. I have it so I will use it to cement things together. Just getting started on mine.

Back