honing steel

Never thought about making a honing steel. I'll have to put that on my list of things to try. Anybody know the best source of O-1 drill rod?

online metals has it for about 15 bucks for 3 36" pieces of 5/16"

Usually I just put them in a chainsaw file handle and sand them down a bit for me, but you can use the same material as your knife and have them put in a sheath for a package type deal.
This was a lil tid bit I picked up from Jerry Fisk.

Last edited:
No reason for O1 other than it's easy to HT and gets hard. W1 or W2 drill rod will work just as good. Actually anything that is harder than the blade's edge will work since all you really want to do is straighten the fine edge on the blade.

I've seen several differnt finishes on these. Is it just knuraled or what makes the the suface. I have never worked with these.

Just a smooth finish for a hone, since all you want to do is refine the edge not sharpen it in a true meaning of the word.

No reason for O1 other than it's easy to HT and gets hard. W1 or W2 drill rod will work just as good. Actually anything that is harder than the blade's edge will work since all you really want to do is straighten the fine edge on the blade.

I assumed as much but thought I should check.

Thanks!

Is there any reason why you couldn't use bar stock? I Really liked the one Schrade made years ago, more so than the round ones! Plus that sheath made a real good expedient handle.

Back