Hook in grind line

Txcwboy

I have been having an issue with my plunge line from my right hand having a hook in it. Im not sure how to fix it.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-195946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-195946_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Either your belt is not running off the edge of the platen equally on both sides, or the edge of the platen itself is not radiused equally on both sides.

The “hook” is an undercut. The belt needs to roll off ever so slightly so that as you feed the blade plunge into the side of the belt, the belt’s edge bends back instead of laying perfectly flat and acting like a saw.

Last edited:
Its happened on the flat platten and on my wheel. Should the corners of wheel be dressed with a file ? I typically flat gind and have been attempting to hollow grind.

Its happened on the flat platten and on my wheel. Should the corners of wheel be dressed with a file ? I typically flat gind and have been attempting to hollow grind.

No. You don’t want to dress your wheel.

This is really about getting the edge of your belt to “round over” a tiny bit. Most makers will track the belt over the edge of the wheel or platen about an 1/8” - 1/4” You have to do this each time you flip the blade, so it’s very important to be precise so that you track it off an equal amount on each side, each time.

Another possibility is that you are getting into the plunges too deep on coarse belts. You really don’t want to be all up in the plunges at 60 grit or courser. 120 belts are a lot more flexible and more forgiving. That’s where you want to be when you start getting into the final area of the plunges. In fact, a 220 Gator belt is the best belt in the world for finalizing plunges. The belt is a lot softer, fatter, and rounder on the edges.

Back