Hotcakes!

I haven't shown anything in a while so I thought I would show these. I call em' Hotcakes because thats what they sell like here locally, especially this time of year. They're acid etched O1 & jigged bone. The ones with the smaller/shallower jigging are Amber and the ones with the wider/deeper jigging are Goldenroot. Pants for them will be finished tomorrow. Then I'll sharpen em up and the customer can pick em up. They're gonna be Christmas presents for his brothers & brothers-in-law.

Attachments

• Hotcakes 005.jpg
    Hotcakes 005.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Hotcakes 006.jpg
    Hotcakes 006.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 67
I like the look of the jigged bone on the blackened steel. Nice I bet they don't hang around the shop long

15 min. dip in FC. Wash off the loose film in tap water. Then 20 minutes in boiling water and TSP to neutralize and set the etch. Oh yeah, I etch my mark before etching the blade. I just etch it good and deep and don't worry about the marking/blackening process because the FC will make it the same as the rest of the blade anyway.

15 min. dip in FC. Wash off the loose film in tap water. Then 20 minutes in boiling water and TSP to neutralize and set the etch. Oh yeah, I etch my mark before etching the blade. I just etch it good and deep and don't worry about the marking/blackening process because the FC will make it the same as the rest of the blade anyway.

can you explain the " Then 20 minutes in boiling water and TSP to neutralize and set the etch" set the etch?

I just boil the blades in water and Tri-sodium Phosphate. (you can get TSP in the paint section of Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) I'd say I use approx. 1/2 cup of TSP to one gallon of water. This neutralizes the acid and it helps set the etch. When I say "set" I mean it makes it a little more durable. I know it neutralizes the acid but making the etch more durable may be all in my head. LOL I hope this answers your question.

One of my favorites I have seen here. Very nice, simple, clean, classic, utilitarian tools. Nicely done.

Back