How do you protect your blade during construction?

j elky

So lately I've been getting small scratches on the blade while I am finishing the handle. The scratched are almost always on the ricasso. Not exactly sure when or how it is happening. My usual process is to finish the blade completely other than final sharpening and then fit and install the handle. Should add that I am talking about full tang fixed blades. When I glue and attach the handle my scale are only rough shaped so there is considerable work to do after the glue has dried. During this time I have the blade wrapped in blue painter tape. Should I use something else to protect the blade? Should I finish the handles further, to say 95% complete, before attaching them? How do you all clean up the squeezed out epoxy on the ricasso?

thanks.....Jeff in Minnesota

So lately I've been getting small scratches on the blade while I am finishing the handle. The scratched are almost always on the ricasso. Not exactly sure when or how it is happening. My usual process is to finish the blade completely other than final sharpening and then fit and install the handle. Should add that I am talking about full tang fixed blades. When I glue and attach the handle my scale are only rough shaped so there is considerable work to do after the glue has dried. During this time I have the blade wrapped in blue painter tape. Should I use something else to protect the blade? Should I finish the handles further, to say 95% complete, before attaching them? How do you all clean up the squeezed out epoxy on the ricasso?

thanks.....Jeff in Minnesota
That sudden scratch mark is a worrisome thing. I also wrap my blades in blue tape but I wrap the blade in cut off sections of paper towel first and then tape. I’ve found applying tape to the blade leaves marks that have to be dealt with.
Like you my blade is finished at the point I start the scales. I always finish the front part of the scales (at the ricasso) completely before permanently mounted them.
As of late I have not had any sudden scratches pop up. But you have to make sure you protect the blade even with the protective tape wrapper.
I use Q tips and denatured alcohol to clean up the excess epoxy. One side dipped in alcohol and wipe once, then the dry side wipe once. I probably use 5-6 a tips per side or until i’m satisfied. After that I carefully apply some thin oil on the blade/ricasso area. Then it’s set aside for the epoxy to cure.

I have had the same problem. Part of it has been due to not finishing sanding/shaping the front of the scales as opaul mentioned above, and then trying to sand too close to the blade. I have used blue tape to protect the blade with some success. I have also tried using actual metal duct tape which has given me a more durable surface for oopses. That stuff leaves a sticky residue on the blade though which I then have to use acetone to take it off. Funny thing you should post this as I just came in from cutting a set of scales and have spent the last hour shaping and sanding the front edge. Going to get it as far along as I can before glue up this time.

I do pretty much as @opaul does. Saran Wrap works real well for wrapping blades prior to taping. I then use about 4 layers of 3M blue painters tape. 3M blue painters tape. Before I start shaping the handle, I tape up the little gap I left between the front of the scale and the tape. Once I'm done shaping, I clean the handle real well. I use copious amounts of blue shop towels and WD40. I think MOST of the errant scratches I've had to deal with came from grit and grub from sanding or metal shavings or whatever. Lots of clean towels. Never pick a dirty one off the bench.
Also, are you finishing the front edge of the handle completely before glue up?

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I finish off the front face of the scale completely prior to attaching them.

Think I will try the saran wrap and paper towel.

Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm still listening!!

If you do use saran wrap be sure it's regular saran wrap. We had some left over saran wrap called "press and seal" It left a residue all over my blade. No scratches but I think it was wax or similar.

I only "protect" my blades during specific times during construction......and when absolutely necessary, the whatever is on the blade comes off.

Why? Time and again I've seen people who tape up their blades right after finishing the blade, then go through finishing down the handle with tape or other protectant on it... then they come out with a knife that has the handle shooting off to one side, and a blade shooting off the other. This comes from not being able to effectively look at things through the process. Because of this, I never cover a blade when working on guards/handles for that piece..... I just concentrate and ensure I don't goof up the blade. That's not to say it never happens, but if/when it does, it's always when my concentration wavers. Knifemaking is just like any other serious craft....ya gotta have your head in the game ALL THE TIME. Do otherwise and Mr. Murphy is right there, just waiting to jump right in and cause mayhem! :)

I only "protect" my blades during specific times during construction......and when absolutely necessary, the whatever is on the blade comes off.

Why? Time and again I've seen people who tape up their blades right after finishing the blade, then go through finishing down the handle with tape or other protectant on it... then they come out with a knife that has the handle shooting off to one side, and a blade shooting off the other. This comes from not being able to effectively look at things through the process. Because of this, I never cover a blade when working on guards/handles for that piece..... I just concentrate and ensure I don't goof up the blade. That's not to say it never happens, but if/when it does, it's always when my concentration wavers. Knifemaking is just like any other serious craft....ya gotta have your head in the game ALL THE TIME. Do otherwise and Mr. Murphy is right there, just waiting to jump right in and cause mayhem! :)
I'll get there one day but for now, it's tape for me! ;)

You don't ever get rust or strange marks on your blades for just tape? Especially for etched finishes.
I do! From my previous post ". I also wrap my blades in blue tape but I wrap the blade in cut off sections of paper towel first and then tape. I’ve found applying tape to the blade leaves marks that have to be dealt with."

I always use a paper towel and then the blue tape. In fact just today, I did just that except right at the top by the ricasso I taped over the blade were there wasn't any paper towel and ended up with a sticky mess.

Also on another note - Toilet Paper - Keep a roll on your work bench and use it to wipe off the WD40 or Windex between sanding stages. Works great and is cost effective. Keep the comments clean please :0

Also on another note - Toilet Paper - Keep a roll on your work bench and use it to wipe off the WD40 or Windex between sanding stages. Works great and is cost effective. Keep the comments clean please :0
Which brand of TP do you recommend for that?

I do similar to what others do. Paper towel or sheet of phone book paper wrapped around the blade and I like to use cheap electrical tape instead of painter's tape. Can wrap it nice and tight. Also something to consider is when you are finishing the handle pieces of the sand paper abrasive might collect where the ricasso meets the handle scales, dont wipe it off instead blow it off so you dont scratch the ricasso.

Not the cheap thin stuff. Go middle of the road.
OK thanks for the advice ;)
(You know, that's really not such a bad idea. I use way too many blue paper towels on stuff that could be done with a little TP. We just remodeled the bathroom... I'll have to look and see if we still have the old TP holder.)

This is a good point of distinction Ed makes here. Depending on the construction, I tape and untape several times.

I'm a "taper". Mainly because I've scratched a blade after being all but done with it and had to try and fix it. I do take the tape off frequently to avoid any rust issues and often hit the blade with a dab of Renaissance Wax if I know I may not be getting back to that blade for awhile.

I was thinking about Ed's point of being able to see proportion without a massive mound of tape and paper towels in the way and I think that is a great point I had not thought of but I am far too clumsy to risk having to remove scratches. I got to thinking about what I could use and I came up wilh this.
1576088258299.png
it's a rubber spray paint that peels off clean when you want it to. I have used it in other applications and it peels off easily with no trace. I have a couple of cans lying around my shop i will try it on my next knife and let you guys know how it works. It's not going to help if you touch it to a 50 grit belt running at speed but for the incidentals and rust it should work great.

Back