How does one achieve this look with stag?

GrizzlyKnives

moonstag.jpg

I have several antlers from deer I've killed that are begging to be made into knife handles. How is the dark, craggy effect achieved like in the example above? What other things can you do to stag/antler to make it pop and stand out?

As AW says that piece of stag in your picture is an exceptional piece and is why it's expensive- I'm with you though and want to get some of my elk to darken up like that without it coming out looking funny. PP (potassium permanganate) is what most makers use to darken antler and I would try that if want to add some darkening. Sambar can be professionally treated and you may find someone who will stabilize your antler with color if wanted to go that way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. So those deep gorges running parallel with the stag are naturally occurring? Almost looks like they are carved in and darkened.

That is Sambar Stag from India.

By far the best and most expensive antler horn around. Those colors and grooves are naturally accuring with Sambar stag. The most expensive kind is called "Popcorn" The little white Popcorn like pieces on the white part are exquisite.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Yeah thats a really nice peice in that knife not cheap at all , there not allowed to import it and the price just keeps rising

One way to highlight stag or antler handles is to use a "short bristled" tooth brush to scrub the rough surface. Do not brush parallel to the grooves, but instead brush on the diagonal to the grooves. In this way the ridges end up with white nobs while the dark grooves provide a contrasting background.
I cut the bristles down to suite the situation. Use as hard a tooth brush as you can find.

I saved the piece of India stag in the picture until I made a knife worth using it on.

Fred

Haveing antler dyed and stabilized makes a nice looking handle from elk, and whitetail antlers. I have some from Woodlab.biz. in blue, purple, green and some brown. I need to get them on a knife soon.
Dale

Whitetail antler can be very porous toward the center. Stabilizing will fill the cavities with a plastic compound, making it denser.

I use potassum permanganate or however you spell it. I use a small pointed paint brush and paint it the areas i want darker.Do it before the final beveling to the guard and butt. This helps keep the contrast .
Knife1012011reunion.jpg

take care
TJ

Last edited:
Back