How to bring out the hamon on 52100

Lerch

I have been trying to figure out a way to really make the temper lines or hamon show up on some 52100 blades while still having a mirror finish.

My current method has been to achieve a mirror finish ending with a loose flap wheel and green chrome polish. After this is have etched the blades in ferric chloride for 15min and then cleaned them off with dial soap. using Flitz i clean off pretty much all of the oxides until at least the hardenend edge is back to a dull mirror finish and you can see the mulitiple quench lines. At this point is where im kind of lost. IF i continue to polish with flitz i eventually lose the ability to see the temper lines but i am still able to see the darker (cloudy) softer portion of the blade and if i take the blade back to my buffer i get pretty much the same results just with more of a mirror finish on the hardened edge and the same cloudy portion on the spine.

What i would ideally like to get is pretty much what i have now but with of a visible temper line and i was just wondering if there was some trick i was missing. i will try to include a pic of one of the blades tomorrow.

thanks
steve

You may be chasing the holy grail.
Polishing "smears" the steel and destroys any definition. Maybe try going to 1200 or higher hand sanding, etch, then Flitz it . I've gotten good results at 1200-1500 grit with cold blue and Flitz. You wont get a 'mirror' polish but still good hazy reflection.

Rudy

Gosh Steve, where have you been?

I'm afraid I cant help you very much because I am still in the hunt for that elusive hamon.

Back