How Young is too young

I love having the kids in the shop while doing things that do not require power tools. I have a 3 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. The boy is never allowed in the shop when power tools are being used but my girl is allowed if she is waring her PPE. Besides she can run a wood lathe better than me.huh1 She knows what tools are off limits but I still watch her like a hawk. I think every kid is different but I am comfortable with her in the shop.2thumbs She never comes in when I am grinding though. I guess I got a lot of rules. May be we should start an official show us your kids thread.

IMG00092-20100306-2053.jpg

IMG00093-20100306-2053.jpg

Last edited:
Stacey thats so so true , the cops now would have guns drawn and be screaming drop your weapons. All this talk of gopher hunting making me go out and buy a new ruger 22 with a stainless and synthetic stock speed loader, 25 shot clip and a couple bricks of shells . Spring is here. kellyw

My two have reached the age where giving them a bit of responsibility, knowledge, and trust are producing great results. Pride in their work builds self-esteem and their new-found capabilities set them apart from their classmates. Here are my daughter (age 13) at the forge and my son (age 11) at the grinder.
-Mark

Attachments

• img_1743.jpg
    img_1743.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 12
  • daf7bf66f038.jpg
    daf7bf66f038.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 24
I use to be the wrench passer,had my own creeper, safety glasses. But when the welder came on I had to vacate the shop. I was the shop runner at age fourteen in a blacksmith. Learned the power of the grindstone(4'dia) and no skin on the knuckles. Practice makes perfect...

Last edited:
Back