HT 6150 for a newb

Chris Martin

Ok, let me see if I have this right...or close to anyway.

I am going to try my first HT from Aldo's 6150. I bought 5 gallon peanut oil since my wifes boss got us a deal. Will jump up to a Parks or similar when monies permit.

So, I am using a small one burner forge with a Bernzo JTH7 as the heat sorce using MAPP gas.

ETA: I forgot to add, I will be heating up a piece of 12" steel while the forge is warming up to drop in quench tank. I have a 105mm Howitzer shell for a quench tank.

1. Fire up the forge and let it get warmed up

2. Slap my blade in there and let her get up to non magnetic, let soak for a couple min

3. Straight into quench tank, let cool to touch.

4. Clean up a bit to see how we did

5. Temper in oven at no less than 400 degrees for two hours x2

6. Clean up some more, slap scales on, put a nice hair popping edge on her and hope for the best??

I plan on chopping into some 2x4's, cutting some thick rope and then try and slice some paper as a basic test to see how we did:eek:

Please feel free to chime in and give me some pointers or add something I left out. This is my first time, so all I can do is hope for the best!

Thanks Dogs,

Chris

Last edited:
Unless you have a PID controlled forge Id pull the blade in and out and spin it a bit to keep from over heating the edge and tip. You can also heat it slowly to ensure the whole blade gets heated evenly if not the tip and edge will be hotter than the spine and ricasso. heat it a bit pull it out let it equalize then back in to heat more until the whole blade gets the same color equally
Pay close attention to the color never let it get white hot or even bright yellow. you want a medium orange color while still being non magnetic.
Its not as simple as just letting it get hot or to non magnetic, that is just a reference point.
Hope it turns out ok for you.
Rusty

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty!

I planned on paying very close attention to it. I just wanted to know if I had the basics down. I will do as you mentioned and flip it once I start toget a color change. I am going ti leave the edge thickness at a little over 1/8" and then tackle that monster later. I hear its a pain to work this stuff after hardened. But I have read good reviews as a chopper steel.

Thanks again for taking the time out Rusty2thumbs

I hope it turns out too:unsure:

Chris

Unless you have a PID controlled forge Id pull the blade in and out and spin it a bit to keep from over heating the edge and tip. You can also heat it slowly to ensure the whole blade gets heated evenly if not the tip and edge will be hotter than the spine and ricasso. heat it a bit pull it out let it equalize then back in to heat more until the whole blade gets the same color equally
Pay close attention to the color never let it get white hot or even bright yellow. you want a medium orange color while still being non magnetic.
Its not as simple as just letting it get hot or to non magnetic, that is just a reference point.
Hope it turns out ok for you.
Rusty

Back