Hunter/skinner with amboyna

MikeL

KNIFE MAKER
The OAL is 8 3/8 with the blade at 4 1/8. It’s CPM154 with 800 grit finish. I finished this today. I read a post somewhere in the last few days that mentioned knife scales from ‘mad scientist knife scales’. As it turns out, that is where I got these scales. Dyed and stabilized amboyna burl. Thanks for looking. Mike

5A605F2B-9281-4D44-89C5-A2F1933F6AFD.jpegFC0EECA5-C4E7-44EB-BEF4-08519E198DB7.jpeg678C9D8B-8D66-47C8-B398-25181B8F47CE.jpeg

Thanks for the comments. I’ve always been a bigger fan of natural wood color. But I have been follow a few guys who dye and stabilize and some of their stuff turns out very unique.

Great looking knife, and I have to concur with the other posts, the colours of the scales are really beautiful. The detail of the scales and the overall quality of your finishing is exceptional, I think.

Thanks again. I’ve made several knives with 440C and only three using CPM154. I sure like 154 for a satin finish.

Mike, you haven't gotten my address yet. So please send this knife to,...…………………… OK so I am pulling you leg slightly. If you do want to send it for testing, I will be very glad to test it for the next 10 yrs. or so!!

Holy cow, you did not miss anything with this one bud, You knocked it out of the ball park!!

Do you have a link to mad scientist knife scales??? I searched but it did not return a company!!

EDIT: Just went back and looked at the pics again and this one is awesome!! The first pic is close to a side profile but I for one, would love to see that side profile, to really appreciate the shape of the knife!!! It looks perfect, again this one is top shelf material!!

Last edited:
Mike, you haven't gotten my address yet. So please send this knife to,...…………………… OK so I am pulling you leg slightly. If you do want to send it for testing, I will be very glad to test it for the next 10 yrs. or so!!

Holy cow, you did not miss anything with this one bud, You knocked it out of the ball park!!

Do you have a link to mad scientist knife scales??? I searched but it did not return a company!!

EDIT: Just went back and looked at the pics again and this one is awesome!! The first pic is close to a side profile but I for one, would love to see that side profile, to really appreciate the shape of the knife!!! It looks perfect, again this one is top shelf material!!
Thank you. The knife is sold by the way! I think Mad Scientist (John Luke) is only on instagram. He goes by @madscientistknifescales.
Another photo for you. Thanks again, MikeDB5C1780-A350-45F3-A160-40D018759FF4.jpeg

Mike, I love the profile on this knife! The wood is fantastic. Great job on this one!! Two thumbs up!!

Just following up with the sheath for this knife made by my brother. One day I might decide to make my own sheaths just to say I did, but then again, as long as bro likes doing leather work ...
AEACB32B-EC42-49E7-9717-85B2DAFC182B.jpeg60FC78EF-72DA-4E18-96C7-B3FA3BD3F221.jpegC9D430CB-4B5F-4863-862A-78B0A48BEEB0.jpeg

Back