Hurricane Irma

I'd be sure to run it empty then drain the fuel bowl.

I have had problems with the gas left in the tank eating up the rubber grommet around the supply line coming out of the bottom of the tank. I always shut off the fuel and let is suck everything out of the carb. Until I recently when I had to put in the new grommet in the bottom of the tank to stop a leak in the fuel supply line at the bottom of the tank, I had no way to drain the tank, except to disconnect the line, and that was always a mess.

When I worked on it this last time, I put a tee in the line with a shut off to my new line. Now I can stop the generator and drain the tank, by opening the cut off, crank the generator and suck the carb dry!

When I am able to I am gonna set mine up with a gas/propane set-up. I usually try be prepared and have some gas on hand before the storm. However the idea of having a generator that can operate on propane as well will be a win, win, situation!! I am glad you posted that on this thread!! upload_2017-9-16_19-54-37.jpeg What happened to all the great emotions we had before the new look!!

Well, not sure why they took the emotions off, this new system doesn't even pick on the code - looks like all we've got is the few that are included. :) ;) :( :cool:

OK, just a quick update on my generator conversion to LP gas - I can't imagine anything going smoother! I spend 20 minutes watching the video, 10 minutes reading instruction booklet, and about 20 minutes doing the actual installation. Smooth as silk. Connected hose to propane tank, connect to regulator on generator - press the prime button for a couple seconds, press start button..... starts right up. No choking involved since this is a gas already. Ran a few minutes on propane, turned propane tank off and allowed to run until generator died - only a couple seconds. Turned gas valve on tank to OK, turned choke to choke, press start, started right up on gasoline. Slick as a whistle.

I just ran it under load (I did have to adjust the brass screw on regulator) - about 3,000 to 4,000 watts using 3 burners of hotplate. Ran just fine - not sure it's idling just right with no load, but I'm not as concerned with the idle as I am smooth running. At this point, I'm happy with the conversion.

Ken H>

That's great Ken, I got my gas bill the other day and tried to figure out a rough idea of how much it cost to run.
at first I miscalculated, I actually only ran the generator for a little over 24 hours straight.

My gas bill was about $24.oo over an average bill. after the storm, gas went to around $3.00 a gallon, I really only used this generator up in the woods till now to run my 1.5 hp deep well, a/c and tv and it seemed to go thru 5 gallons in one night.

this time it was running a deep freezer, two refrigerators, three ceiling fans, two TV's, motion activated lights and cameras.
so......I figure for around a buck or so an hour this was cheaper than running gasoline and it's better for the engine,
plus I avoided the lines and fights at the gas stations.

I have two other generators I'm going to convert soon, I think it's a good idea not to be chained to gasoline.

Good deal Steve - I agree, there is NO WAY I'd want to be involved in those gas lines. You've got full access to NG, while I've got to deal with LP. I've only got a couple of 20 lb bottles, and the 50 gal tank for the stove. I wish I'd pushed a bit harder for a 100 gal tank for the stove. If it wasn't so expensive I'd like to get another 50 gal tank..... or a 100 gal in addition to the 50 gal? Hey, LPG doesn't go bad, it will keep for years and still be good.

Ken H>

My company is getting slammed with generator request now that the storms past, I just got back from the panhandle and a building inspector up there I talked with said he's seeing a lot going in up there now too, all propane.

After a major hurricane there's always a big push for installing generators. Makes the price go up a bit also.

Well, the 10:30pm tracks show it moving a bit more west..... right over ME!!! Maybe a bit more west of me? Maybe this one will die out and only be a tropical storm by landfall?

storm_16

Back