Hydraulic Press Pump Question

D. Crawford

For those with real life hydraulics systems experience...

I'm collecting parts for a hydraulic press build and have been offered a used vane pump for about the same cost as a new gear pump. Noise is something I'm addressing so can anyone tell me if the vane pump will be that much quieter? I'm talking 2500 psi at 3600 rpm on a 6 gpm pump.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not much of an expert on hydraulics but the average electric motor spins 1800 rpm roughly half what your pump requires. That's something that can be worked out but just keep it in mind when your doing your build. Anytime I have been beside any hydraulic pump it was attached to a rather noisy diesel.

If noise is an issue, you can always put quick disconnects fittings on long hose and put your power pack outside.

If noise is an issue, you can always put quick disconnects fittings on long hose and put your power pack outside.

This may be an option, however you will have a pressure loss over a longer distance, and Hoses can be pricey.

What units are you looking at specifically? I have been repairing high pressure hydraulic pumps for the past 9 months. High pressure is a little different, but not to far off.

This may be an option, however you will have a pressure loss over a longer distance, and Hoses can be pricey.

What units are you looking at specifically? I have been repairing high pressure hydraulic pumps for the past 9 months. High pressure is a little different, but not to far off.

Hi Brandon,
I'm looking at a 6 gpm Vickers v10 series fixed rate pump vs a 16/4 gpm 2 stage log splitter pump.
I'm using a 4" cylinder and a 3600 rpm 7.5 hp motor, so neither will be slow. Just wondering if there is a major noise difference between the two pumps.

Thanks

I can't find any info on the pumps themselves to say what the db ratings are. The v10 claims it's quite, but that's a bit relative at best. I think the motor will likely be the limiting factor in volume. Do you have any more info on the motor? The chart I saw said it would likely be between 82 and 91 decibels depending on whether you had an Open Drip Proof or Total Enclosed Fan Cooled motor. The ODP was 82 and the TEFC was more than twice as loud at 92. Those are volumes you get from blenders, lawnmowers, busy highway traffic, etc. At that point the pump may never be heard over the noise of the motor.

I'm not sure if that info helps or not, but it's all I could come up with on the fly. Post some more info if you want and we can dig deeper.

Back