I am a knife maker!!!!!!

You said you were doing the HT yesterday morning... So are you all done yet? :) I wants to see!

I tryed the heat treat on 2 and 3. I think I burnt them. They did not get hard. I do have more steel, more grinding, and a lot less time. On to 4 and 5.

Archer very good for your first knife. Ide like to know how you know you burnt the other 2 blades ??? Were they kinda popping sparks ? If they were they are toast but you could take them back up to 1500 and hold them at that for say 3 to 5 min and re quench you might have just not got them up to temp. I did that on my first 8 razors and was able to redo them but 1084 is forgiving. Kellyw.

Ok. Here is what I did. 1/8" 5160 steel, ground to 120 grit. Heatted in my gas forge till it was a light orange color (mid afternoon with overcast skies.) Let soak for 5-8 min, quenched in peanut oil. Did that twice and checked with file. File cut very nice. Not hard. Repeat a third time with same results. One idea was that I over cooked it. And to top it off, they warped! I can deal with the warp, but I do not know what I did with the hardness.

Good looking knife.
I would carry something like that.
Shape looks like it would be comfortable to use and the size is just right.
OK.....now that you are a knifemaker, what's next?

Way to go Archer, I remember one of the early kit knives you did, this one is a far cry from that one, keep up the good work!!

Back