I Am Getting Better

Steve, that sounds like first hand knowledge!! View attachment 65863I have been known to have the same results. My neighbor said, I was the only man that could throw a ball peen over a 100'! :oops::mad: That was after I smacked my thumb for about the third time in five minutes!!

Another thing about cardboard, if you get a knife shape you like worked out, you have a sheath design that will work on all of them. Once you get the hang of you can make the sheath as plain or as ornate as you want!!

Chuck Burrows did a 2 DVD set on sheath making and one of the things I gleaned from watching it is, the devil is in the details! Edging the leather is often what makes it look better in the end result!! He had a lot of small tricks that he showed in the DVD's and I realized why I had not been pleased with my results at times.

My old lady could throw me a 100 when I had the dining room in a mess when I used to make fishing bits and bobs as a youth. lol

This is also a good place for a laff VG.

I luv this place.

Robert, that looks pretty good for a first one! Did you wet form it at all for retention? That is something that really helps.

Robert, that looks pretty good for a first one! Did you wet form it at all for retention? That is something that really helps.

I intended to wet form C B but made my dimensions too tight hence not having enough to stitch without it breakingso Oused the wrong rivets as a get out

Construction paper is a heavy form of paper, graph paper is laid out in grids/squares and each square represents 1/4" of 1/2" depending on the size of paper you buy! Sorry Robert I know you use the metric system over there but here in the states we never made the full conversion, and a lot of things are still in measurements of an inch!!

You mentioned wet forming. When wet forming wrap the entire knife handle and all that way the wet leather will not hurt the knife and the wrapping also leaves a bit of clearance around the knife once dry!!

As to your initial question. Yes you are getting better!

Your comment about the wife made me think of a story, I will try to keep this short as possible!

I was born and raised the first 18 yrs. of my life in Nebraska and it can get colder that a well diggers a$$ in Montana as the old saying goes.

My father was a carpenter and he had a job he needed to finish. All he lacked was one cabinet. I hear the back door to the house open and my father hollers at me to help him. When I get to the back door he has a sheet of plywood in his hand. He actually had two more on the truck.
Help me get this in the house. In the house I said, what are you going to do?? I am going to build this last cabinet right here in the middle of the living room floor. It is too cold to work in the shop (no heat) and I need to finish this job!

So as were moving in the rest of the wood and tools, I just had to ask. What do you think Mama is gonna say when she sees this mess. His response was, she will never know. It will take about an hour to cut and assemble this cabinet and we will have it all cleaned up before she gets home!!

He was making a cut with the skillsaw and he finished and sit down the saw. A wood chip had jambed the guard and when he sit it down, the still rotating blade cut a half circle in the vinyl floor before it stopped!! I looked at him and said, so much for Mama never knowing!!

We did get the cabinet finished and we were all cleaned up before my Mother walked into the house. I made sure I was not in the living room, I was watching the TV. She started across the floor towards the bathroom, off of the living room. I heard the bathroom door shut and then it immediately reopened. And then I heard her say, what the #@!! happened to my living room floor! My mother was one that did not cuss, but when she did you knew she was mad!! My father made his entrance from the kitchen about that moment, she wheeled around and again she said a bad word, directed at my father!! Needless to say you can see where this is headed!! :p

Back