I am totally stressed out

springer82

This us just not going well. My first sheath. I tried to make it nice for my girlfriend's son. It will go along with the hunter I made for him. I do much better standing in front of the forge. It's what I'm use too. In time,,, anything!!

Attachments

• 20190126_202351.jpg
    20190126_202351.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190103_184634.jpg
    20190103_184634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
Your probably just getting ahead of yourself with the leather. if that's your first sheath you should have skipped all the stamping.
if anything, stick to simple border stamping and practice the basket weave on scrap. stamping basket weave takes a lot of patience, every stamp needs to be in it's perfect place. a lot of stamping can be corrected or worked around, basket weave pattern isn't one of them, just a couple misaligned stamps sets the whole layout out of whack.
it's not the end of the world...at least it's staying in the family.
by the looks of that knife, I don't think your girl friends son is going to mind the sheath...:D

I agree with Steve - looking at that NICE looking knife they'll never be concerned about the sheath. Once the sheath is finished and dyed good, maybe scuff it a bit to show use it will look just fine. You did really good with the finish on that handle. I like the looks of that Damascus also, low layer count is nice, and I really like the pattern. Would you care to share how you did the pattern? After a few successful San Mai billets I might feel froggy enough to try a low layer Damascus.

Your right.
I'm way ahead of myself with the sheath. I would of forgive myself on the stamping. It was when the cutter slipped for the stitching that set me off. I cant help it. It is part of that Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained thing. I'm my worst enemy!

Sprnger82. I live by my fathers philosiphy that the ability to do come with doing so starting off plain and working toward the fancy is the way to go and as you go you will find the ability is there.

^ What Gruff said!
That sheath looks a lot better than my first dozen, hang in there, it'll come. But, even after you do number 100, sometimes stuff just happens and we keep pluggin' along.
I love that knife!

If it were me, I would have GF’s son learn to do leatherwork so he could make sheaths for me...I do not care much for sheath making but I understand its importance with a custom knife.

If you can dye the sheath a dark color that will go with the knife, those little slip ups don't show up as bad. I have learned that from experience.
That is a great looking knife!

If it were me, I would have GF’s son learn to do leatherwork so he could make sheaths for me...I do not care much for sheath making but I understand its importance with a custom knife.

Your funny!!
Learning to make sheaths kinda goes with the deal. I just wanted a nice sheath to go with that knife. He's a very nice young man that has bent over backwards to help his mom. "2 pt's"!!!
I'll redo the stamping on the other side. Practice is good. I have enough leather for one more try. If I have to get more then that's the way it is. I'll only get better. If at first,,,,, try,,, try,, try, lol,,,,:)

So I'm a slacker and did not go to work today. Nothing else to do but work on my sheath. The bottom right is the last try.

Attachments

• 20190130_122307.jpg
    20190130_122307.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 16
Springer - Very nice knife. And, good effort on your first sheath.

I'm a bit late, but, here is a fairly straight forward you tube on a sheath build. It gives the basics. Take a quick look. You tube has dozens of sheath builds and all of them are somewhat helpful. Each sheath maker does it a bit different. Kind of like knife building...

If you have any questions about sheath building feel free to pm me and I will help you if I can.

Springer - Very nice knife. And, good effort on your first sheath.

I'm a bit late, but, here is a fairly straight forward you tube on a sheath build. It gives the basics. Take a quick look. You tube has dozens of sheath builds and all of them are somewhat helpful. Each sheath maker does it a bit different. Kind of like knife building...

If you have any questions about sheath building feel free to pm me and I will help you if I can.

Thanks Dennis. I'll check it out tonight.

Back