I bought a laser engraver/cutter

I have no regrets from buying mine. I know one like Gene has would do a better etch and last longer in the long run but I am satisfied with the job mine does very easily. My main justification, in case it helps you, was because it is a multi-use tool. I mark my name on my knives, make designs or custom markings on knives, use it to cut sheaths out perfectly, I can etch the sheaths, I can computer design knife templates and cut them out of wood or plastic stuff perfectly. I save leather by test cutting cardboard (free) first and see how it fits together, then use leather. I have not even gotten into the non-knife related stuff you can do with a CNC laser too.

I have no regrets from buying mine. I know one like Gene has would do a better etch and last longer in the long run but I am satisfied with the job mine does very easily. My main justification, in case it helps you, was because it is a multi-use tool. I mark my name on my knives, make designs or custom markings on knives, use it to cut sheaths out perfectly, I can etch the sheaths, I can computer design knife templates and cut them out of wood or plastic stuff perfectly. I save leather by test cutting cardboard (free) first and see how it fits together, then use leather. I have not even gotten into the non-knife related stuff you can do with a CNC laser too.
That's my thought as well. I couldn't justify the price for just marking my name on my knives. But as you say, it's a very versatile tool. You can etch and cut many different items with it.

Ortur had a LM2 10 watt on sale for 329.00 which I just bought. 4 dollars more than the Personalizer Plus etcher. Down the rabbit hole I go. Should be here towards the end of next week.

Congrats - be sure to post some etches you do. While the OLM3 10 watt I have does pretty good marking steel, if it's painted black befor engraving the finished image really comes out nice. AND seems to hold up really good.

Congrats - be sure to post some etches you do. While the OLM3 10 watt I have does pretty good marking steel, if it's painted black befor engraving the finished image really comes out nice. AND seems to hold up really good.
Thanks Ken. Will do

Good for you Sean. I used mine this weekend to prototype a new sheath/cover for a Nakiri then to cut the finished product. Made everything so much easier. If I can put the thing together a retired IT guy should have no trouble...

I wanted to see if you guys are interested in me posting some knife (making) specific testing on the Laser cutter I recently acquired. It is a 10W diode laser (Ortur Laser Master 3) and I familiar enough with its operation now to do some pretty in depth testing related to knife stuff. I will post in WIP style if there is interest. The engraver is supposed to be able to engrave Stainless and HC steel with no chemicals (have not tested that yet). Post up if you want to see results.

I can already tell you that I will never cut another sheath blank by hand. I am fortunate enough to have taught myself previously how to use QCAD so I drew out a sheath blank and was able to cut it straight away. One pass and three minutes from start to finish including the laser cut welt. Glued it together and sewed it up without ANY trimming or fitting. I may cry... I have a CowBoy Outlaw machine so I did not cut stitching holes but the laser will cut 1mm (.039) holes perfectly, so no more stitching chisels. I am also going to draw out some upside down teardrop shaped leather washer files complete with tang cutout for a current project I am working on which is a Twisted Damascus KA-Bar for a retiring friend sussexlasers.co.uk.
I’m looking at SIC and Clausing. This is for engraving part numbers and logos on stainless shafts and on the OD of steel pipe parts. SIC is recommending 20 W fiber. I’m wondering if that is enough power to efficiently engrave pipe parts. I need the ability to engrave at least .005-.01 deep for some parts. I won’t need a rotary for any of the parts. Looking for something open instead of a small enclosure.

What are you guys using and who do you recommend? Thanks

Back