I have never used a Heat Treat oven, but starting tomorrow I will...some

I only had a chance to HT two knives this weekend. One worked wonderfully one warped like a banana. It did make me think of another question for those of you who HT in batches. Lets say you have 4 knives in the oven. When you start quenching knife 1 by the time you reach knife 4 is the temp of knife 4 still in range? I assume you would close the door each time and hopefully the steel stay warm enough? That about right.
Yes. Move quickly and carefully. Open, grab a blade, swing door shut. Quench, let drip a few seconds, wipe and hang. Grab next blade, repeat. No issues.

Yeah I put it between my quench plates after quenching in oil which I do to keep them straight. Normally I put a 25 pound weight on top but for some reason I did not do it this time and guess what, warp city. I will straighten it in subsequent temper cycles no big deal.

I would just quench it again to straighten it....maybe even 8 or 9 times if necessary. Isn't that the "recommended" process for straightening a warp? If that doesn't work, scrap it and start over.

:D :p ;)

I would just quench it again to straighten it....maybe even 8 or 9 times if necessary. Isn't that the "recommended" process for straightening a warp? If that doesn't work, scrap it and start over.

:D :p ;)
I guess it depends on where you get your advice from. If you go to the TV then that seems to be the procedure until it cracks or spontaneously straightens through the pull of magnetic north or other magical factors.

Back