I have the knife Gene Kimmi made!

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
...and it's a beauty. When I am a bit healthier I'll take some pics and review it... I am now missing most of the hair on my left forearm...lol. Addicting...

I have not sent him a knife yet. The beginning of November I was admitted to the hospital for 16 days with a near fatal case of pneumonia. The doc said months to heal and from what I am seeing that's probably correct. They had to "open up " my side to scrape gunk out and they split me open pretty "good"...lol.

I am now on oxygen....can only walk about 20-30 steps before getting winded. Bottom half of my right lung is not moving much...still a lot of fluid. but the lung is slowly healing.

So I sit in a recliner and play with the beautiful Bowie that gene made. I came down to the shop a few days back to reply to Gene and then did some design work and tired myself out so it was hard getting back upstairs (even with the lift the VA put in for dad when he was alive).

When I'm back on my feet I'll finish up Gene's knife...Hopefully soon!

It's good to be alive.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Oh my! I wish and pray for you a complete and sooner than later healing recovery!
Keep us updated. Sounds like it was near fatal. Don’t mess around until you are released by a doctor.

Yes sounds like it might be a slow recovery so try to have some good moments during the day. This forum helped me after my heart attack in March. I’m walking a brisk mile a day, but remember starting with those weeks/months of barely getting from the recliner to the kitchen. Take it slow, listen to your doctor and your body.

Wow...get well soon! But don't push it too much...had a co-worker who ended up with pneumonia about the same as yours. He recovered nicely and I'm sure you will too.

yeah...still tryin' to get my head around it all. Have been living off savings since the start of 2019...then this. Don't know exactly what I'm gonna do but gotta heal first...worrying doesn't help much with healing...lol.

"but remember starting with those weeks/months of barely getting from the recliner to the kitchen "

You know....lol. ...and trembling like a leaf when you get there...lol.

Do you know how long it took him?
I'm not sure. He had pneumonia twice. The first time they didn't open him up and he was down for like two weeks. The second time I had left the company and only heard through co-workers. I'm guessing but I think he was back at work part time in about two months.

...and it's a beauty. When I am a bit healthier I'll take some pics and review it... I am now missing most of the hair on my left forearm...lol. Addicting...

I have not sent him a knife yet. The beginning of November I was admitted to the hospital for 16 days with a near fatal case of pneumonia. The doc said months to heal and from what I am seeing that's probably correct. They had to "open up " my side to scrape gunk out and they split me open pretty "good"...lol.

I am now on oxygen....can only walk about 20-30 steps before getting winded. Bottom half of my right lung is not moving much...still a lot of fluid. but the lung is slowly healing.

So I sit in a recliner and play with the beautiful Bowie that gene made. I came down to the shop a few days back to reply to Gene and then did some design work and tired myself out so it was hard getting back upstairs (even with the lift the VA put in for dad when he was alive).

It's good to be alive.

I know firsthand... that you simply CANNOT get a knife sharper than Gene Kimmi’s. They cut like lasers.

Well the one good thing about being a knife maker is usually there is not a shortage of sharp pointy objects in your shop or house!! LOL! That said please take care of yourself and get better!! Have the best Christmas you can prayers for you and your family!!

I'm glad you got it, Ted. I hope it met your expectations. Take care of yourself and get better. Continued prayers for you and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

It's good to be alive.

Merry Christmas to you too, Ted. Having had more than my share of pulmonary problems, I empathise completely. Just allow yourself to heal at the pace your body dictates. Glad you're better now that the cuttin and diggin is done . That's no

Gene....absolutely beautiful...and SHARP...LOL!
Ted, I hope you get to feeling better soon. Prayers your way!

Now. Let’s talk more about that knife. As many of y’all know, my dad owned a store called “The Knife Store” in Baton Rouge, LA - in which I was raised from as far back as I can remember... maybe 1982. Anyway, around the same time, he was shooting bench rest and eventually went on to be a master class pellet rifle silhouette shooter. He’s that kind a guy... loves precision. I have always tried to get knives as sharp as he does. I can get mighty close now... he had LOTS of practice... so I figure that’s what gives him the edge. Lol pun fun. Anyway, I say all this to validate my earlier post, and the following comment. Big Wayne can’t touch Gene Kimmy. I have seen and sharpened thousands - none, not a single one - was as sharp as the one Gene sent me last year. He has a trick... guarantee it.

The gunshop where I have some knives for sale told me, "Your knives have a reputation for being super sharp..." ( guys are slowly buying them and liking them) I have a trick....

go to Ed Caffrey's web page and watch him sharpen Tim's knife (in about 15 seconds) and then practice, practice, practice....lol!

i don't know how Gene is doing his but that big bowie drops hair easily.... I'm waiting to grow a new batch so I can play some more...

The gunshop where I have some knives for sale told me, "Your knives have a reputation for being super sharp..." ( guys are slowly buying them and liking them) I have a trick....

go to Ed Caffrey's web page and watch him sharpen Tim's knife (in about 15 seconds) and then practice, practice, practice....lol!

i don't know how Gene is doing his but that big bowie drops hair easily.... I'm waiting to grow a new batch so I can play some more...
That’s exactly what I do to get a knife “razor” sharp... this is what I call functionally sharp. What I mean here is sharp sharp lol.

Thanks for the praise guys. I sharpen the same way Ed showed in his video with a couple differences. After the grinder, I use a leather wheel with green compound instead of a buffing wheel. Then, if it's not quite where I want it to be, I'll use a diamond steel to finish it up.

I think one of the biggest things is that I grind my knives thin. Usually .010" BTE on hunters and .005" or less on kitchen knives and fillet knives. On Ted's knife, I left it at .020" in case it would be used for chopping. I also sharpen them at a low angle, 10-12 degrees per side on kitchen and fillet knives and 12-15 degrees on hunters.

I tell my customers that my knives are heat treated and tempered to the harder side with a thin grind, if you use them to cut or chop bone, they may chip. If they are used for what they are made for, you won't have any problems. If you want to cut or chop bone, get an ax or a saw.

I do cut tests and torture test whenever I start using a new steel and test one every so often as I make them. So far, this has worked well for me.

Back