I melted my knife

pugsrok

Well, when i was heat treating, i let the forge get too hot and waited too long, and the tip fell or melted off :( ban1

well at least i learned something, do watch the knife at all times, and dont keep the forge on full blast.

Yup, you live and learn.
You do know that there are two kinds of blacksmiths?
Those who have burned up a piece of metal,,,,, and,,,,,
those who are about to.
Today, teaching at the New England School of Metalwork I had a pice get to sparkling three times. I learned, when you are teaching you can talk and instruct or you can heat metal.....you can not do both at the same time.

Yup, you live and learn.
You do know that there are two kinds of blacksmiths?
Those who have burned up a piece of metal,,,,, and,,,,,
those who are about to.
Today, teaching at the New England School of Metalwork I had a pice get to sparkling three times. I learned, when you are teaching you can talk and instruct or you can heat metal.....you can not do both at the same time.

A cold rainy day in Maine--perfect day to spend at the forge. One of these days things will work out so I can make one of your classes. :)

Get here early in the morning. There is a space available and you can get a discounted fee!

Get here early in the morning. There is a space available and you can get a discounted fee!

I sure appreciate the offer but sadly circumstances do not allow. Another time for sure!

OK Mr Bad Example, or who ever else wants it. Be here at 8:00 in the morning and the fee is discounted to $300.00 for the balance of the class. Yes, tomorrow is Mother's Day but we will be making Mother's Day presents. That should get you in her good graces.

I can't count the pieces i've scrapped from dripping them in the forge plus all the satanite i've used to repair my forge LOL. I have a grinder on the way so maybe i'll get to actually finish some of my forgings...but fear not friend, like Mr. Coe said, you either melt it or you're about to :)

Been there, done that, have the ruined steel to proove it. I finally learned to crank the heat back and watch the steel closely. Any mistake that you didn't learn something from is a mistake wasted.

Doug Lester

Yep, I've melted a lot of iron. My problem was too much talking and not paying attention. A lot of the time when people would know I had the forge going they would come watch me.We would get to talking and the next thing you know...oops I would have to re- design what I was making.

Wayne is right about two kinds of blacksmiths.

It takes time and practice to get it right.

Larry

In the words of a local blacksmith I have taken lessons from
"burning is learning"

...man I learned a lot:D

Back