I need help.

pugsrok

Ok, so there is a browning folder that i have that i broke the tip off of, is there anyone on the forum that would repair it for a good price? will get pics soon.

ok, one thing i have noticed is that when the knife is folder, the part where the tip would be moved to actually sticks out some, so i think it may just be an impossible fix, you would have to weld some more metal on. So this knife might just get regarded as a garden knife now :(

Welding metal onto a broken tip is not really an option.

You could have the point "dropped" so it won't be above the scales when the knife is closed. Hard to say without pics. HINT! :D

It could be fixed but it looks like the blade is missing a fair portion. Stainless knives are not good prybars, I know from experience:eek:. Got to have a carbon steel blade if you want to be able to abuse it, even then you have to be careful.
If you are really attatched to the knife you could have a completely new blade made for it, or make one yourself if you have the tools. With a blade this small you can do a lot of it with files and sandpaper and not wear yourself out too bad. The lock area has to be fitted pretty closely but it isn't as hard as it might look. You can clamp the old blade and the new one together with a pin in the pivot holes, flush everything up and file the lock with needle files until it matches the old one.
I made a new blade out of O-1 for my Benchmade and it out-performs the original 154cm blade by a good margin except for when it gets wet...

That's an easy fix. If you don't find anyone to do it for you, send me a PM. I think I can do it pretty easy. Just be aware that your blade will obviously be shorter. The tip just needs to be re-shaped and beveled. I did a very similar repair to a BM a few months back that I posted pics of in the Mods forum.

Murph's right, it can definitely be re-ground. Justin's right too, you could take it apart and make a new blade of better steel.

Shame on you for breaking a tip! I know I never did that :D :eek:

yea, i broke it off in an oar :D, i like the idea of having the blade replaced, but i am not comfortable doing it myself.

Don't feel to bad, I broke the tip off my favorite pocket knife too. Lesson learned-if you need a pry bar get a pry bar; if you need a knife get a knife.

Doug Lester

So, what would be the cost difference in having the blade fixed, or having a new highcarbon, stainless, or damascus blade put in?

i wonder if regrinding the blade to a tanto point would save some of the blade length?

Reshape & bevel tip as suggested by Murph then if not satisfied with the way it looks, you can replace the blade . Got nothing to lose , the way it is presently !

Check with the Browning. Often manufacturers will replace the blade at little or no cost. I don't know about Browning.

You know, I should have thought of that. I know that Benchmade offers replacement service and the blades were supprisingly inexpensive, at least according to the dealer who sold me my first Benchmade. Wish you luck.

Doug Lester

Back