I need some help deciding

ChaparralFox

I'm trying to decide which of these three Bowie knives to get. I'm looking for one that will be useful as a hunting and hiking knife. The blade one the right has been folded between 300 and 350 times with 176 blade layers and the blade’s temper is around 54 to 55. The middle blade contains 1095 & 15N20 Japanese high carbon tool steel with 512 layers and hardness of 58 to 60Hrc. The blade on the left is 1074 carbon steel and has 176 to 225 layers. The Rockwell hardness is about 60. All of this information is according to the sellers. Sorry about having multiple fonts. I'm typing this on my phone and don't know how to fix it lol. Thanks for all advise. IMG_2371.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2361.jpg

Personally, I think you'd be disappointed with any of them. I've been making knives for a LOT of years, and can tell you that all those blades are most likely junk...... basically, those are what I call "KSO" (Knife Shaped Object).... They are all some type of imported garbage. Don't believe the description...its a well known fact that those who are selling that type of junk will say whatever they need to in order to get your money....then when they do, it's over.

Here's something to try..... contact the seller and ask them what their return policy is.... if they don't answer, or give you some song-n-dance, then steer clear. Bottom line is this.... you will not get even a remotely decent using knife for that kind of money.

Personally, I think you'd be disappointed with any of them. I've been making knives for a LOT of years, and can tell you that all those blades are most likely junk...... basically, those are what I call "KSO" (Knife Shaped Object).... They are all some type of imported garbage. Don't believe the description...its a well known fact that those who are selling that type of junk will say whatever they need to in order to get your money....then when they do, it's over.

Here's something to try..... contact the seller and ask them what their return policy is.... if they don't answer, or give you some song-n-dance, then steer clear. Bottom line is this.... you will not get even a remotely decent using knife for that kind of money.

Thanks for the advise, I'll look deeper into them. Is there any Bowie that you would recommend?

If it's a production bowie you're seeking, and looking to keep cost down, this is one of the better "bang for the buck" when it comes to production knives....

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Marine-Corps-Fighting-Straight/dp/B001H53Q6M/?tag=pickmyknife-20

Of course everyone will have their own personal favorite, but for the money, it's hard to beat. That being said, don't expect it to perform like a custom knife.... you'll have to take care of it, and likely sharpen it more often, but as I said, for the money it's a decent hiking/camping knife.

I am also seeing alot of the new flag ship KA BAR knives are a bit off on the guards also. One side or the other seem bent a slight bit.

the handle is off-center to the blade. I'm hoping it's a bad photo composite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back