I still have a job

Travis Fry

It was like a nuclear bomb went off at work today. Last week the company announced a 10% company wide workforce reduction, which hit my department about twice that hard. A lot of good folks lost their jobs today, and I'm very thankful that I'm not one of them. Lessons from the carnage: 1) be thankful for what you have 2) you don't deserve what you have for any other reason than that you work for it 3) performance matters. A LOT. You may think that nobody notices, but I can promise you that someone does.

I could come up with a few more, but I'm going to head out and have a celebratory beverage or 4.

Wow, glad you made the cut. What does this do for your chances of staying or leaving the country?

Travis, I am glad to hear that you still have a job!
Thanks for the reminder about having an "attitude of gratitude"!

- J

Let's see - Katy, Tx? Industry is bound to be oil or petro-chem.... Travis - how close did I come?

I lived just South of Houston on the coast (Freeport) during the '80's and I remember the big boom of early 80's that went bust about '85/'86. Joke then was "Last person leaving Houston turn lights off".

Ken

Cool, that's always a plus! So got a question, Travis Fry and Jason Fry.:les: Are you all related?????

Let's see - Katy, Tx? Industry is bound to be oil or petro-chem.... Travis - how close did I come?

I lived just South of Houston on the coast (Freeport) during the '80's and I remember the big boom of early 80's that went bust about '85/'86. Joke then was "Last person leaving Houston turn lights off".

Ken

Yep, I'm an accountant for a mid-major oil company. This is the worst layoff we've had since the last big bust, but we actually did need to cut some folks. It'll be pretty wild seeing who has to do all the work that these folks used to do, but we're all thankful to still be around.

Jason and I are brothers.

Travis

Based on your attitude and dedication to what ever you put your mind to I think you'll be fine in this ol' world no matter what fate brings you. You are a dedicated, articulate guy and based on what I know about you just from this site I would hire you for almost any job site unseen (No pun intended). As a matter of fact you could look at it like you were unlucky that you didn't get cut because it prevented you from spreading your wings and trying something new and different that would be even more rewarding for you. Rock on, brother, Rock on.

Wallace

Back