I was warned this could happen.....

Cazador

So this knife I've been working on for what feels like forever. I finally get to the point where I get the handles on and glued up and on the path to finishing it. Several of the folks on the form warned me about leaving the wood thin near the ricassso/finger coil area. I was asked if I ever had the wood break at in that area. I think I responded no, knock on wood. Well, it happened. This was a piece of pretty nice desert ironwood that will now have to come off. So, lesson learned...the hard way.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 47
So this knife I've been working on for what feels like forever. I finally get to the point where I get the handles on and glued up and on the path to finishing it. Several of the folks on the form warned me about leaving the wood thin near the ricassso/finger coil area. I was asked if I ever had the wood break at in that area. I think I responded no, knock on wood. Well, it happened. This was a piece of pretty nice desert ironwood that will now have to come off. So, lesson learned...the hard way.
I think I thre one across the yard the other day for that very same reason.

This is one of those times where the wood grain matters. A wood with very tight, close grain can be taken pretty darn thin.

Looking at the ricasso end of those scales, that particular scale was cut from a block with fairly wide grain. The end grain of wood is always wanting to come apart. When the growth rings are far apart there is more chance of a chunk coming loose versus having the growth rings very close and tight, capturing itself.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I had to set it aside for awhile and chill by working on something else. I wanted to throw the knife across the room but have gotten much better at not doing such things. That being said, I'll definitely try the suggestions mentioned to try and salvage it.

That sucks good luck. I agree that salvage is a better option. Might as well give it a try first. Worst case scenario you damage the handle and then you have to remove it. I really like using removable handles for this reason.

Back