IKBS Machining the surfaces.

Three Sisters Forge

Forum Owner-Moderator
In folders using IKBS pivots you have issues with chatter and galling of the bearing surfaces.

In IKBS there are three surfaces to take into consideration; Blade flat, frame flat and the housing sides. What we do now is to mill a VERY smooth flat on the blade, very shallow. This must be dead on parallel to both sides. This is at exact right angle to the pivot bar, hole but milled at .247". The blades are HT, then the pivot is honed with Clover Compound using its mated pivot (.250).

I made a tool that then hones the ball bearings in place, spinning at 30,000 ROM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6xsz8dLuDg

Back to work,

Jim

Interesting...I too lap my pivot holes with a barrel lap and Clover compound, as other makers do. However I've tried to lap the actual pivot and blade together and wound up with a big o'l mess...either finishing up too loose, or galling and ruining parts. It looks like you are lapping them together as a final fit. Any details you'd like to share?

.062 (1/16) VBX ball bearings. Final dimension is .058-.060. Fit with ball bearings minus one, for compound room, covered in CLOVER, open and close 100 times. Family watches TV while we pass them around, quite funny to walk in on. Take apart, discard those ball bearings, new ball bearings, ready to go.

Thank you! However I was talking about the pivot pin and pivot hole in the blade. Are you using the Clover compound on those two parts and lapping them together?

No, clover on bronze hone, till pivot just passes in TIGHT. The blades are R60, the pivots are usually about R35-40. Trying to match hone those will result in a tolerance of the thickness of the Clover Cpd. It will also result in the pivot being decreased in diameter. Now it it will be loose in the frame unless you take that in. Too tough to chase "tolerances". The biggest issue with pivot fit and swing is that the frames-blade are not square to each other. I fit them, then with the pivot in tight holding the two sides together FLAT, i drill the rest of the spacer and stop lead holes. I then tap the lock bar side, thread screws through, screw down spacers, then fit the presentation side.

SOLID !!

Back