Illinois Ivory Ban Bill Defeated

Critter

Yesterday the Illinois Senate Environment and Conservation Committee defeated Senate Bill 1858 by a 6-4 vote. SB 1858 was a draconian bill that would have banned the sale or purchase of any ivory, including mammoth ivory, in the state with no exceptions whatsoever. This is the fourth ivory ban bill defeated so far this year (Maryland, Virginia and Washington previously).

The defeat came after an alliance of organizations opposed to the bill, including Knife Rights, helped make it clear to the committee members that it was terribly problematic for honest, law-abiding Illinois residents, stealing millions in value from them, and that it would not save a single living elephant in Africa.

When we are allowed the opportunity to explain the facts involved and the reality of the illicit trade in elephant ivory, in which Americans have virtually no involvement whatsoever, we have a good chance of changing the minds of those who have been mislead by emotionally charged, politically and financially motivated efforts to ban legal elephant ivory that's been in the country for decades and mammoth ivory that's 10,000 years old.

The bright light of the truth and facts can carry the day given half a chance. Like all Americans, we find the poaching of African elephants appalling and reprehensible. Unfortunately, instead of going after poachers, smugglers and traders of illicit ivory, Ivory Ban bills only attack innocent Americans without any likelihood of having an impact on the poaching problem.

Support Knife Right's Legislative Efforts
Help Forge a Sharper Future™ for all Americans!

OVER $150,000 IN PRIZES!
WINNER'S CHOICE! YOU SELECT YOUR PRIZE!

Donate TODAY and you are eligible for the
EARLY BIRD BONUS DRAWING!

DOUBLE your CHANCES to WIN!

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Donations can be made online at www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel
or by calling (TOLL FREE) 1-866-889-6268 or 602-476-2702
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time M-F, Please

This offer void where prohibited.
*Limitations apply. Complete eligibility and rules at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!

Thanks for the update..... I guess they just never even consider the real life effects of such a draconian action..... Or could care less about Grandpa's old piano.

Ken H.

Thanks for the update, Critter. It scares me how easily they can vote on something they know nothing about.

Doug, Thank you so much for knife rights help with this defeat and unfortunately many more. In turn i have joined your org. with a membership to help support your efforts.

Sounds like a great cause. I guess that also means that the 20 lbs of old ivory I have rat holed, is at least a little safer to use on projects . Not sure about Missouri law on this issue. ...... Bubba

Thank God that Illinois defeat that bill! Thank you so much for your work!!!!

I like ivory for knife handles and I have an ivory keyed piano. I don't want anyone to tell me what to do with legal ivory. My piano was made in the 1930s so the Ivory is pre-ban; my piano key Ivory is white and in great shape. I love my piano and will never give it up. To think that I couldn't sale it (if I become broke) or a custom knife because the government is sticking their noses in too many places without knowing what they are doing and the effect it will have on normal everyday people burns me up!

God Bless America and keep it free. I get riled up when I think about this.

Grizzly Bear

Back