I'm making a website, feedback wanted

Alden Cole

Hello Knifedogs, I've often thought about how to explain knife things to non-knife people. You can give someone a care and maintenance instructions paper when they buy a knife, but this only covers that one aspect. They can go and Google every question they have, but this is not always helpful and many times they won't know to ask the question in the first place. So my goal is to have a one stop website that I (and others) can send people to for all of the necessary information. I was originally going to title this website (to some extent tongue in cheek) "Everything you need to know about knives", because the purpose is to give people the absolute basics that everyone should know. However, that was to long of a name. If you'd like, please read through the page and show me what you don't think is necessary, what should be in there that isn't, and anything that is incorrect. While I've been writing the content for a while, I just bought the domain name and got the website started a couple days ago, so please don't look at the ugly setup and horrible website, just the content. I'd also be interested in posts from other people. I think it would be a good idea to have a post on the differences between handmade, custom, and production and the benefits/tradeoffs that come with each method of production. Thank you! https://knowknives.com/

On first look, I'd say you've covered most of the bases. I don't see any errors. I know you are more interested in the content than the look, but I think bullet points could be helpful for some of your items.
And I learned something as well! I didn't realize that using the blade on a cutting board to push items off might dull the edge. But once I thought about it, it makes perfect sense.

On first look, I'd say you've covered most of the bases. I don't see any errors. I know you are more interested in the content than the look, but I think bullet points could be helpful for some of your items.
And I learned something as well! I didn't realize that using the blade on a cutting board to push items off might dull the edge. But once I thought about it, it makes perfect sense.
Thank you!

I read the whole thing. Pretty good, I didn’t see anything wrong in there. You should add some stuff about handles too. Wood, stabilized wood, Micarta, G10, etc, the differences and benefits of each. Flush fit, museum fit, hidden tang, full tang, and so on. I think that is something worth touching on. Maybe a little bit on what to look for in a quality knife too? I would say fit and finish, quality of the bevels and plunges, distal tapers and tapered tangs and all that. But I like it, it’s a great idea to have that info in one place.

I read the whole thing. Pretty good, I didn’t see anything wrong in there. You should add some stuff about handles too. Wood, stabilized wood, Micarta, G10, etc, the differences and benefits of each. Flush fit, museum fit, hidden tang, full tang, and so on. I think that is something worth touching on. Maybe a little bit on what to look for in a quality knife too? I would say fit and finish, quality of the bevels and plunges, distal tapers and tapered tangs and all that. But I like it, it’s a great idea to have that info in one place.
Thank you! I'm thinking that different terms and materials should be on a different page, not on the main page? And yes, that would be a good idea to talk about what to look for in a quality knife.

Mr. Jones: On going through the page again I do see what you are saying about bullet points, esp. in the care and maintenance "do/don't" section.

I like your idea of having that stuff on separate pages. Thinking about annoying stuff on other websites, it is nice if you can just go to the relevant page rather than scroll through and endless supply of things you don’t care about to see the one thing you are looking for. You should put pictures of relevant material up too.

Young man, you've hit a home run with this website - it's terrific! In fact, I'm passing your website along to a couple of other young aspiring knife makers as a example of craftsmanship in knives and website design.
A VERY minor detail, it appears that there is a dead link here:
1652973595035.png

Young man, you've hit a home run with this website - it's terrific! In fact, I'm passing your website along to a couple of other young aspiring knife makers as a example of craftsmanship in knives and website design.
A VERY minor detail, it appears that there is a dead link here:
View attachment 80835
Thank you, glory to God alone! That link is weird because you can copy and paste it and it will go to the right post, but if you click on it, it doesn't work. I don't know what's going on there. Quite a few of my processes have changed since I wrote that.

Hello all, I'd appreciate it if you left a comment in support of my website (leaving the feedback here works too, I'm just hardwireing them into the site). Or, for the guys who've already given feedback, if you could give me the permission to post your comments on the website. This will build confidence in perusers of the website. Hope this website will benefit people and I'm not being obnoxious, ha ha. Thanks,

Back